Cost to set up stock FZJ80 for overlanding? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome. Do you know exactly what terrane you will be on? If not, I say just drive as is stock, bring food, water and a map. After your 1st trip if you NEED something, then you add that.

▲This ▲ You will get exactly what you need.▲ I would add a compressor to your start list

Where ya at in Wyoming? How much is the Lexus?

The price on all of these items is difficult to gage since every brand is different

I don't live in WY but I'm there every year, as well as CO, UT... Other trips all over. I live on east coast.

If you mean overlanding like most people mean, i.e. driving around on dirt roads in the west, i.e. camping, then you don't need anything special.

Sliders should be your FIRST armor upgrade, not the last. You can rip your stock bumpers off on rocks, stumps and roots, but who cares? They're basically cosmetic. Damage to your rocker panels on the other hand would be painful and expensive.

Considering a local 80 series Lexus which is totally stock. Can y'all give me a ballpark range for making it into an overlander?
I'd love an itemized price range for each of the following, plus whatever I'm missing, starting with the must-do's.

Lift
Front bumper
Winch
Wheels (stockers ok?), tires
Rear bumper?
CB
Perhaps snorkel?

Thanks in advance.

If you intend to do tires, 35’ and up, plan to do a rehear as well. The truck will thank you.
I drove on sick gears for 6 months and wish I had done it from the get-go. I’m not saying you can’t but you’ll wonder why you hadn’t after it’s been done.

$200.00
That should get you a foam pad, sleeping bag, beer, and a tank of gas. Now you are ready for some overlanding.

66JHcWf.jpg

I would encourage the less is more mentality. It seems like a lot of folks confuse overlanding with rock crawling and end up going way overkill on their builds, then have to haul around a ton of extra weight and armor that they never use.

For overlanding think more about reliability (baselining) as well as extra batteries, camping accommodations, fridge, awnings, etc... Although they look cool you probably wont need massive tires, tons of armor, a lift, etc...

you've actually got a lot of good advice here. I figured this would devolve a lot further than it already has. (good for us! :flipoff2:)

agree that the first, possibly ONLY thing you need to do is baseline the truck. then just drive it. You should budget about $2k for baselining. You could probably do it cheaper and you can DEFINITELY do it for more, but its a start.

The most enjoyment will come from using the cruiser to make memories. Focus on reliability (cooling system, oil leaks, fluid changes and knuckle service) then add a few things that will make camping and exploring more enjoyable. For me, adding a fridge and either a sleeping platform or a tent/swag would be the first items I would add to a new build. Then get out, use it and figure out what you need vs want.

To answer your question on cost. If you were to do all the reliability work I mentioned above yourself, you would be looking at about 1500-2000 in parts. (Including new radiator, water pump etc.) Get past that and onto mods, a fridge is about 800-1300, you can setup a 2nd battery system many ways but figure 300-500 in most cases.

Good luck with your project.

A stock 80 will go places most modified vehicles won't,. Even without factory lockers,. I totally agree on the baseline and some reliability upgrades,. The 2k mentioned above is right on if you do the work,.

My list would be on a vehicle without maintenance records..but in good running order..

Head gasket// have the head checked and new valve seals installed..
Timing guides/ old ones will be cracked or warn..
Timing tensioner
Oil pump gasket
Front crank seal
Water pump with toyota matched belts
Blue fan upgrade
New kotorad radiator
Temp gauge/ scan gauge..
Plugs and toyota wires
All cooling hoses, PHH in silicone
Trans cooler lines..rubber part, toyota premolded..
New intake tube
O2 sensors
Fuel filter(it's a PITA). And the fuel sock on the fuel pump, alcohol fuel is hard on the in tank strainer..
Gm charcoal canister mod
Slee headlight harness
Dual batteries
Front end checkout/rebuild at least repack the wheel bearings and grease spindle shafts..
u-joints and prop shafts greased properly! and checked for wear..
Brakes service with 100 series toyota brand pads..
Transmission filter ( not a flush just filter and new fluid..)
Power steering high pressure hose..
Bilstein shocks..
Add a cup holder
Lube window channels so power windows work well
Sliders are needed especially at stock height..
Good tires

Change all lubricants including flush power steering,.(5 gallon bucket on the return and just pour new fluid in resvour at idle untill clean)

Make sure you have the most reliable stock cruiser then start mods...

Goodluck,. Best time to buy is January/February after the Christmas credit card bill shows up.. lol...

If you mean overlanding like most people mean, i.e. driving around on dirt roads in the west, i.e. camping, then you don't need anything special.

Sliders should be your FIRST armor upgrade, not the last. You can rip your stock bumpers off on rocks, stumps and roots, but who cares? They're basically cosmetic. Damage to your rocker panels on the other hand would be painful and expensive.

This. ^

Sliders before all else.

Cheers

Purchased for $4200, needed many things.

E324AD8E-FFE1-49A8-9713-B38B46B988BE.jpeg

About $7-8k in parts later.

DD43644F-E8CF-4BA7-BE0B-D62C62D2AEE6.jpeg

That got it reliable and most problems fixed as well as lifted and armored. Labor was free, just my time.

Cheers

Purchased for $5k with a bad engine.

FE839E42-4947-4AC8-86D4-F110D87D915D.jpeg

It’s a very nice rust free 95 with cloth and diff locks, hence the $5k to buy it. Plan all along was engine swap of the V8 variety. I decided to drop a new 1FZFE in it instead.

02F1FB14-9104-475B-B091-FF7969340696.jpeg

2E0527DB-4B54-4617-859D-736B5AEA6500.jpeg

7187F3F6-8478-4EA9-A321-C0EF0932003C.jpeg

Now we’ll over $15k in parts, I stopped keeping track at about $11k. Brand new engine and all its components, axles and brakes done, steering done, new head unit, a lot of cleaning, some 305’s (for now) and a small OME lift. Still needs sliders ASAP and a belly skid. Well sorted though and ready to rock for hundreds of thousands of more miles.

Both these trucks were just the basics. Make them reliable and road worthy before starting any mods. I could easily have another $5-20k in “bolt-on” additions and upgrades.

Having driven to Panama and back though three times and off-roading for over 20yrs, I got it pretty figured out on what works for me. For the overland stuff, I tend to go as light as possible with a quick camp setup. For off-roading I like it fairly low and don’t need 37’s to go to Moab.

Cheers

Last edited:

View attachment 2461369

It’s a very nice rust free 95 with cloth and diff locks, hence the $5k to buy it. Plan all along was engine swap of the V8 variety. I decided to drop a new 1FZFE in it instead.

View attachment 2461386
View attachment 2461387
View attachment 2461389

Now we’ll over $15k in parts, I stopped keeping track at about $11k. Brand new engine and all its components, axles and brakes done, steering done, new head unit, a lot of cleaning, some 305’s (for now) and a small OME lift. Still needs sliders ASAP and a belly skid. Well sorted though and ready to rock for hundreds of thousands of more miles.

Both these trucks were just the basics. Make them reliable and road worthy before starting any mods. I could easily have another $5-20k in “bolt-on” additions and upgrades.

Having driven to Panama and back though three times and off-roading for over 20yrs, I got it pretty figured out on what works for me. For the overland stuff, I tend to go as light as possible with a quick camp setup. For off-roading I like it fairly low and don’t need 37’s to go to Moab.

Cheers

Nice cruiser,. Well done...

Overlanding or broverlanding?

Really an 80 with a set of AT tires and camping equipment from a yard sale will give you the ability to go down all the overland tracks in the US and camp out there. I'm not saying dont buy the things if you have the money and want to but almost none of what you listed is needed.

Sliders and underbelly armor is where to start on 80s mods.

View attachment 2461369

View attachment 2461386
View attachment 2461387
View attachment 2461389

Cheers
Can you define new engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom