Cost to set up stock FZJ80 for overlanding? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you say what the going rate is on one of those? :)

9315. Toyota san bernardino online...

Can you say what the going rate is on one of those? :)

The short block is $3500-4K.
The head (bare) is $1500-2k
The cams are $500+/each
All the valve parts about $500+
Wiring harness $550+
All (most) of the sensors $600-1000
A\C compressor is $400
Radiator is $500+
Gaskets kit with HG $400
P/S pump $500
New valve cover $300
Alternator is $400+
Starter is $300+
Fan clutch & w/p is $300+
Oil pump, timing chain, tensioner, ect $200
Dizzy cap, wires & plugs is $200-300
Hoses with clamps is $400
Harmonic balancer is $300+

There is more but you get the idea.

Cheers

You can’t buy a 1FZFE long block and even if you could it wouldnt come with many parts.

Cheers

If you search world wide there are crate motors available as they continued to use the 1fz in many foreign markets after they stopped selling them here,. Alot of middle east 100 series has 1fz motors.. the later motors also got coil packs..

Just not cost effective. My solution when mine needed a motor was a low mile takeout that we took apart and freshened,. With new toyota rings bearings and gaskets..

If you search world wide there are crate motors available as they continued to use the 1fz in many foreign markets after they stopped selling them here,. Alot of middle east 100 series has 1fz motors.. the later motors also got coil packs..

Just not cost effective. My solution when mine needed a motor was a low mile takeout that we took apart and freshened,. With new toyota rings bearings and gaskets..

I am aware.

Let’s see a link to a long block 1FZFE. 😁

I am sure there is a few sitting in a warehouse, back of a dealership or in somebody’s garage somewhere. Doesn’t mean you can buy it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

My solution was all new. A number of reasons I went that route, how much longer I can do it all new being just one reason.

I posted the two trucks to give a feel where a person may land going two different routes money wise.

Cheers

The short block is $3500-4K.
The head (bare) is $1500-2k
The cams are $500+/each
All the valve parts about $500+
Wiring harness $550+
All (most) of the sensors $600-1000
A\C compressor is $400
Radiator is $500+
Gaskets kit with HG $400
P/S pump $500
New valve cover $300
Alternator is $400+
Starter is $300+
Fan clutch & w/p is $300+
Oil pump, timing chain, tensioner, ect $200
Dizzy cap, wires & plugs is $200-300
Hoses with clamps is $400
Harmonic balancer is $300+

There is more but you get the idea.

Cheers
Love this. Post the whole damn list/spreadsheet/whatever if it's something you already have handy. Haven't seen anyone do that. Might help folks pondering rebuild/turbo/swap/new-FZ options...

Last edited:
Love this. Post the whole damn list/spreadsheet/whatever if it's something you already have handy. Haven't seen anyone do that. Might help folks pondering rebuild/swap/new-FZ options...

😂

That was strictly off the top of my head. Add that up, it’s not $15k but like I say there is plenty more.

There was also all new brakes and soft lines, DBA isn’t cheap. 105 sector shaft upgrade and complete steering rebuild. Knuckles & hubs with new 105 spindles. I have also done at least $1-1.5k in parts on cosmetics. Blah blah blah.

I would say, if you buy a $4-6k Cruiser and refresh it like this you will easily have another $20k in parts. Better to plan on $25k cause I am not done.

I haven’t even touched the suspension yet besides coils and shocks. Easily another $500 in parts there with no upgrades. Drivelines still, diffs and tcase. After that a completely refreshed truck is the result. Other than trans I supposed but these trans just go and go, mine is totally fine with 200k on it.

Like I say could add another $5-20k in upgrades after that. Easily getting up to new or nearly new cost for other platforms. Jeep, 4Runner, Tacoma, ect. The Cruiser is where it is at though for me, I will take a “new” 80 any day over anything else I could buy new even if it is dollar to dollar the same cost. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Or you can just buy the $5k Cruiser and go on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that at all either.

Many people into other trucks go buy a new vehicle at $50+k and then toss $20k in bolt ons at them. Realistically, you can have a completely refreshed 80 with all the bolt ons for the same $$$ amount or less but for the most part you are going to need to do the labor yourself.

For “overlanding” though, a small lift and 33’s combined with diff locks and kitted out to suit your style will be the best bang for the buck. That will do the vast majority of stuff a guy will do. All my builds I did for the Panama and back trips were based on being able to camp for up to a week in the boonies. First build was to heavy, dumped many things for the second build and trip. Third build in a 100-series was dialed but got heavy because I was carrying so much gear. I have found it is best not to buy “overlanding” swag, go white water river gear and backpacking gear in the truck. The overlanding stuff is often big, bulky and heavy. Saves a ton of weight to go with light weight camping gear and you don’t want an 8,000lbs 80 with an old and tired 1FZFE, trust me on that!

Cheers

😂

That was strictly off the top of my head. Add that up, it’s not $15k but like I say there is plenty more.

There was also all new brakes and soft lines, DBA isn’t cheap. 105 sector shaft upgrade and complete steering rebuild. Knuckles & hubs with new 105 spindles. I have also done at least $1-1.5k in parts on cosmetics. Blah blah blah.

I would say, if you buy a $4-6k Cruiser and refresh it like this you will easily have another $20k in parts. Better to plan on $25k cause I am not done.

I haven’t even touched the suspension yet besides coils and shocks. Easily another $500 in parts there with no upgrades. Drivelines still, diffs and tcase. After that a completely refreshed truck is the result. Other than trans I supposed but these trans just go and go, mine is totally fine with 200k on it.

Like I say could add another $5-20k in upgrades after that. Easily getting up to new or nearly new cost for other platforms. Jeep, 4Runner, Tacoma, ect. The Cruiser is where it is at though for me, I will take a “new” 80 any day over anything else I could buy new even if it is dollar to dollar the same cost. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Or you can just buy the $5k Cruiser and go on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that at all either.

Many people into other trucks go buy a new vehicle at $50+k and then toss $20k in bolt ons at them. Realistically, you can have a completely refreshed 80 with all the bolt ons for the same $$$ amount or less but for the most part you are going to need to do the labor yourself.

For “overlanding” though, a small lift and 33’s combined with diff locks and kitted out to suit your style will be the best bang for the buck. That will do the vast majority of stuff a guy will do. All my builds I did for the Panama and back trips were based on being able to camp for up to a week in the boonies. First build was to heavy, dumped many things for the second build and trip. Third build in a 100-series was dialed but got heavy because I was carrying so much gear. I have found it is best not to buy “overlanding” swag, go white water river gear and backpacking gear in the truck. The overlanding stuff is often big, bulky and heavy. Saves a ton of weight to go with light weight camping gear and you don’t want an 8,000lbs 80 with an old and tired 1FZFE, trust me on that!

Cheers
Hadn't thought of whitewater gear, thanks for the tip! Knew about DBA (currently running those) and the 105 sector shaft/Pitman arm, but not the spindles. Suspension upgrade should come last, after you figure out what your weight is going to be. Any other tidbits, feel free...

Also, if you bring food that doesn't need to be cooked, you save a whole bunch of weight, space, time and money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom