Cost of H55F conversion on FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ACC did mine a few years ago for about $7k. That included a new H-55 and a rebuild on the transfer case and converting it to a manual shift instead of the vacuum. When they gave it back to me, it felt like it was original equipment. Worth every penny.

If you can remember who makes the kit, I am highly interested.

Thanks
Ernie
Ernie, the box showed up in a parts truck I got years ago. I talked to my son (he’s into a lot of custom fabricating) and he thought it may have come from Torfab. I’m not certain but do know I would not hesitate to make my own with a plasma cutter, grinder and drill press. It’s a pretty basic design, but very effective. Thanks and good luck. Jimmy

With the "gear oil in transmission" situation, what is going on with the seal that allows the fluid to only migrate in one direction?

I've also read about cleaning the breather on the top of the transfer case. Can someone explain that in really stupid simple terms?

If the tcase breather is plugged, it will build pressure as the fluid and components warm up during operation. That pressure can push fluid through any number of seals, but I guess in some case it chooses the ones between the trans and tcase.

After seeing these, my dad sent me the pictures of the ones he fabricated for his 62,
506E73FA-3D41-423D-AFC8-101590753E99.jpeg
C225AD43-B425-4438-BCE9-8CB635D7C17A.jpeg
79459C94-7652-4523-BC88-ECFD5C4FD1C5.jpeg
0A4A7C79-60B7-4A7D-A469-C69C651FAF94.jpeg

To tie off this thread, I got the H55F swap done by Classic Cruisers in Salida. Total price was just over 8k. They had a 60 that had the H55F conversion done 1000 miles before it was totaled in a rollover, so I saved money getting the slightly used transmission.

Breakdown was $4200ish for
5 speed H55F transmission - 1000 miles used
4 speed bell housing/ clutch/ fork/ bearing retainer
4 speed flywheel
clutch assembly
manual pedal assembly
late model drive shafts front and rear
clutch master - new
clutch slave
slave line
transmission mount
3 piece cross member
shift lever boot
block off plate transmission tunnel

And then $4000 for labor to install everything, and rebuild my transfer case.

Driving on the highway is sweet, 5th gear all the time with 31s. Normally it would kick down on most any hill, but not anymore. Haven't taken it on any big mountain passes. 1st gear is ridiculously low though.

As for Classic Cruisers, the mechanical work seems solid (except the clock was disconnected when I got it back), and obviously their access to used parts is great, but they need to work on their expectation management. They blew past every self-imposed deadline they set, and it took about a month longer than the expectation they originally set. "Under promise and overdeliver" is pretty basic but it seems like they have not heard the phrase. Luckily I was quite busy this summer and had my 80.

IMG_20200730_102149.jpg

I had my '88 FJ62 converted to an H55F after the A440F died on me on the way to work. Best mod ever and I'm very happy with it. I never liked the auto. Red Line Land Cruisers in Colorado Springs did the work about two years ago. . Crate tranny,new clutch, re-size drive shafts, new u joints, new rear main seal, rebuilt the transfer case, fabrication work , balanced clutch and drive shafts, all came to just south of $11,000. I know- ouch. The things we do for our trucks. No regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom