Cost of green antifreeze?

Has anyone noticed that the price of the green stuff has been climbing steeply in the last year? I paid $6.49 per gallon for Peak coolant about then and today I walked in the same Schuck's store and it was $9.69. That seems a little extreme. It wasn't too long ago that it was less than $4.50. Did the world's ethylene glycol reserves dry up or what?

What have you guys paid lately?

And I don't want to be told to buy the red stuff - I don't like it for several reasons.

Thanks.

John Davies
96 LX450

I thought most the stuff was propylene now............might be the reason for the price jump???? Could cost more to produce something more earth friendly, noramally seems to........if it is ethylene then I have no idea??????? I'm voting for conspiracy though

I glanced at the price the other day too and was shocked. I was in Wallyworld and it was about $7 a gallon, and I was thinking it should have been more like $4.50.

It's petroleum based, whatever it is, so yeah, it's going to be expensive.

PROPYLENE GLYCOL
SUPPLY AND DEMAND, PRICING, MARKET OUTLOOK

What is your outlook for propylene glycol (PG) for the remainder of 2004?
Based on industry sources, our expectations are for global PG supply to remain extremely tight, and for demand to remain strong. We expect that energy and raw material costs will maintain their historical highs and will continue putting pressure on pricing into 2005.

Describe the current supply/demand situation for PG.
PG supply is tight throughout the industry and demand remains high on a global basis. Overall, Dow forecasts growth for 2004-5 to be consistent with global GDP, which is in line with our long-term demand growth expectations.

What is driving demand for PG at the moment?
A number of factors drive demand for PG. Typically, PG trends align with the economy; as the economy improves, so does demand for PG. Personal care, food, pharmaceutical and unsaturated polyester resin (UPR) applications have continued at their normal, constant growth rates in spite of economic slowdowns. In addition, factors such as cold weather influence seasonal demand for PG in aircraft deicing fluid (ADF)-type applications. There has not been a lot of additional PG capacity added in the recent years for economic reasons. This has allowed demand to catch up with supply in some geographies.

Rest of the article is at Ethylene Glycols News

The Ethylene Glycol section is right below this one at the link. Pretty much the same story.

Top Bottom