cost of a new venezuelan 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
Had a look at the Toyota Venezuela site www.toyota.com.ve and it's interesting to see the brand new fzj80's for sale down there. My Spanish isn't so hot but they seem to have two series, a VX and Autana, with the VX being part time 4wd. Also interesting that the base model VX manual has only 195 hp from an ifz motor, while the auto has 215. They both seem to be fuel injected so I wonder what that's about.

Anyway, I'm curious does anyone (maybe Junk's friends) know what they sell for down there (and whether they come with lockers). I tried looking at the local dealer sites and could see no prices posted anywhere. I also wonder whether hoiw a made in venzeuala 80 woudl stack up against an Araco built machine (assuming I'm right that they are built locally)

Semlin,

>> They both seem to be fuel injected so I wonder what that's about. <<

I'm 99% certain the lower hp version is carburated and they are built in the country; not in Japan.

If you do a search on the LCML you can find the e-mail address of a guy that was offering to supply them new or used. He said they would be legal meaning all DOT and EPA certifications.  I believe they were around $60k (new) but I don't remember if that included shipping charges. Anyway, you can contact the guy direct and get all your questions answered.

-B-

Hmm, thanks guys now I seem to be able to get stats off the main Toyota Ve website where I couldn’t find them before. Wulfman, the main website lists the hp as 215 across the board and describes all as FI. One of the dealer boards listed different HP for the manual and auto but both with FI. Probably a typo. Also, from the main board it seems that the VX is the deluxe full time 4wd and the Autana is the base part time 4wd model not the other way around. My Espanol is not muy bien.

At $40,000 suggested list it should cost a lot less than $60k to get them to market in the US unless they require some mechanical conversion. However, that is a lot of dough for a vehicle made in Venezuela. Perhaps the 105 is a better deal.

Simon,

Are you sure they are being built in VE. I don't know if Araco would turn the tooling loose. Of course I could be wrong. Could they be imported from Japan?

Dan, I am going on what wulf man says and something I read a while ago. My spanish is not good enough to figure it out. Perhaps you have sources ::)

Why else would Araco keep making 80's for such a small market when they have the 105 or the 78?

I think what I was remembering was that earlier Venezuela 80s ran on unleaded petrol. I may have interpreted that as meaning they were not fuel injected.  I am still pretty sure another post said earlier engines (lower spec versions) came with a carb.

$65k for a new 2002.

Here are some old posts to 80sCool:

--- In 80scool@y..., James & Lindsay <fj40@g...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thought the below information was very interesting. Wish I had the
money
> sitting around I would jump on it:)
>
> James- NH, USA - mailto:fj40@g...
> CruiserParts.net TLCA # 8768
> http://www.ToyotaLandCruisers.com/
> 1978 FJ40 - http://www.1978fj40.com/
> 1996 Lexus LX450, Phone, Leather, Lockers, 35" XTerrains.
>
> ------ Forwarded Message
> > From: D <dingodawgs@y...>
> > Reply-To: 3FE@y...
> > Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:52:12 -0700 (PDT)
> > To: 3FE@y...
> > Subject: [3FE] New and Used 80 series with H55F
> >
> >
> > I was contacted the other day by a broker about new
> > and used 80 series Land Cruiser with the auto or
> > standard transmissions. I will cut and past the last
> > three emails the guy sent me. Some of it is repeat
> > info but it isnt a whole lot and I thought you guys
> > might be interested in it. Let me know if you buy one
> > of these rigs. I did ask about getting the diesel
> > motor. You can read his response. I have a feeling
> > with the right amount of leaning he might make an
> > attempt to import one of those or even a few into the
> > States. Now for the info...
> >
> >
> > Dave
> >
> >
> > ======================================================
> > ------------------------------------------------------
> > =========================================
> >
> > Price varies depending on the model and mileage,
> > example:
> > 4 models for FZJ80:
> > 1. FZJ80 standard part Time 4WD, Automatic
> > Transmision, New 2002 @ 54k, used 2001w/20k miles @
> > 42k.
> > 2. FZJ80 standard PT 4WD, 5 speed Manual Transmision,
> > New 2002 @ 53k, used 2001 w/18k miles @ 44k.
> > 3. FZJ80 VX Full time 4WD aut. Trans. new 2002 @ 66k,
> > used 2001 @ 53k.
> > 4. FZJ80 VX FT 4WD 5s Manual, new 2002 @65k....
> >
> > No Diesel engines for Land Cruisers ever sold in
> > Venezuela but can be found in Brazil, no contacts with
> > Toyota of Brazil, sorry.
> >
> > Prices for used vehicles varies depending on the
> > mileage.
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------
> > Yes, they can be legaly imported in the US, I hold a
> > VCP registered Permit from DOT and EPA approval,
> > vehicles have to be lightly modified to meet US
> > standards, modifications include:
> > Applied EPA tag near engine compartment
> > Applied Vin Number
> > Applied Dyno tests
> >
> > Only FZJ80 from Venezuela can be imported FROM year
> > 2000, before that vehicles use leaded gas, and they'll
> > never meet EPA standads...
> >
> > Please write to George Romero:
> > jmra1000@s...
> > Delivery in 3 months.
> > Used or new
> >
> > ==========================================
> > Hi:
> > My name is George Romero from Cad & Plot Inc. from
> > Florida.
> > I'm currently importing 2001 Toyota Land Cruisers
> > FZJ80 from Venezuela,
> > I wonder if you guys are interested in one?
> >
> > Specifications:
> > Engine: 1FZ-FE 6L 4.5 Gasoline, Full EPA compatible
> > Unleaded
> > Transmission: Manual 5 speed
> > Part Time 4WD
> > Front & Rear: Rigid axles with coil
> > Model is exactly as US version 1997 FZJ80
> > Check:
> > http://www.toyota.com.ve/g/g01_53.html
> >
> > We carry full Just in Time spare parts system with
> > Venezuelan Toyota Dealer.
> > http://toyotachira.itgo.com/repuestosenlace.htm
> >
> > You're Welcome
> > Jorge
> > ============================================
> George Romero
> Sales Manager
> 3140 W Hallandale Bch. Blvd.
> Hallandale FL 33009
> Ph: 954 894-7472
> Cel: 954 655-7472
> Fax: 954 985-0382

E-Mail:  jmra1000@stis.net

-B-

Wulfman

I think I understand why $40k new today and $65k last year.

The exchange rate of Veneuzuelan Bolivar to US$ in Sep 2002 when that email you quote from was sent = .00135368. Rate at end of June 2003 = .00062569.

That's a 50% drop :-X. If these are Araco machines then we should put together a syndicate and import some used low mileage models because the price could be fantastic even assuming inflation there is trying to keep up with their sagging currency ;).

I seem to recall the 80's in Venezuela (from the toyota website) are all gasoline engines. I guess gas is (or at least, was before the strikes) dirt cheap compared to diesel? There are a lot of hoops to jump through to import a vehicle...adds on close to $10K to the price including shipping. I figured a 105 would run around $30K new from TGS, then you have to make all the DOT-required changes...DOT-approved headlamps, window glass (yes, all of them), dual front airbags, etc. There are a lot of nit-picky things, like the VIN plate on the dash has to be riveted w/ stainless rivets (can't be glued on), passenger's wide angle mirror has to say "objects are closer than they appear," etc. Then if it's a petrol engine, you have to meet gov't smog regs. If you're in California, forget it...they ban the importation of any out-of-state/country vehicle w/ < 7500 mi unless you lived out of state and just moved there. If you import a diesel, at least you can get around smog regs, so that's one less hoop to jump through. Good thing about a 105 or 80 is Toyota uses the same body, so it's been crash tested (you might have to have a letter written by Toyota saying it meets DOT crash regs)...not so for the 78 series. Oh, before you even buy the vehicle, you have to go through a registered importer, apply for a gov't bond for 150% of the value of the vehicle, then there's the fed paperwork (app fee around $700), then there's a 2.5% import duty, unless it's a truck (then 25%). Once the feds give you permission to import the vehicle, you can then buy it and import it, but it goes to the RI, whose reponsible for making and documenting the changes. The regs say that the replaced parts must be destroyed, so if the 105 had some nice e-code lamps, they're gone. How's that for bureaucracy? In fact, it's much easier importing a gray market vehicle into Japan...just buy it and pay the $10K import duty,registration, and voila!

Hi folks welcome me back I have been frozen out of this site by my browser since I tried to post the above message yesterday (apparently twice).

I noticed on the Toyota Venezuela website that the prices they quote there include their IVA tax which I believe is 16%. Presumably you don't pay this if you export.

It sounds like the VX is much easier than importing a 105. Jim interesting detail about mods but I doubt shipping from Venezuela would be $10,000.

If anyone is interested in the prices of used 80's in Venezuela, look at www.tucarro.com. Anything after 2000 can come in I guess.

Also check out the widebody "MAcho" 70's they sell down there. Seems like everybody uses seriously wide tires

I suspect the venezuelan 80's days are numbered. The only other place in south america you can buy them new now is ecuador. I also noticed on the used car website that they used to sell them in Columbia but they no longer show as available there.

SOR.com was selling or importing S.american 80 with 5spd a while back. I checked their site and can't find the info any more.

kurt

I was estimating $3K to ship a 105 from Gibraltar to, say, Galveston (probably more if the port is LA, TX is probably cheaper for me). From LA-Tokyo, the price quoted me was $2500. Anyways, it would be much easier to import an Oz spec 105 since it has stock air bags, etc., but then you're stuck w/ right-hand drive. Ditto w/ a Japan-spec 100 TD...can get them new for $38K, and even after all the importation costs/mods, it's still a lot less than a new US-spec 100. Problem is, right-hand drive....

Or a family practice physician who makes rural house calls ("I really needed that live front axle to crawl up that 40% grade driveway"). Guys, speaking of deductions, this year, if you have a business, you can fully write off the purchase of a new, heavy vehicle. The idea is, the gov't wants people to buy tractors and heavy equipment, *but* a LX470 and H2 also qualify! Otherwise, the normal deduction is like 25%.

Hello,

I was wondering why some people believe you have to replace the window glass and headlights and all? I have about 20 105s sitting out in my parking lot right now and they all have DOT apprved glass and headlamps. The Petrol ones have Catalytics and the TDs... well, they're TDs. We have both LHD and RHD models... Normal tailgate and Ambulance doors.

Of course, we also have a number of the armored ones here (SWEET).

Regards,

William Miranda
TLCA#7390

And where (prey tell...), Mr Bill, is this "parking lot" located ? :eek:

R -

Hello Bill and welcome to the 80s section of ih8mud!

It's not so much that we assume they don't have the DOT glass as that we don't know much about the Venezuelan versions. AFAIK, no one on this list has ever seen one from Venezuela in person (at least not one that hasn't been converted.)

-B-

Parking lot is out here where I work. It's where the State Dept. (My Employers) stages/preps vehicles to be sent overseas.

We have: 100s, 105s, Hummers (H1 and H2), MB Gelandewagens, Caddy Limos, MB Limos, Suburbans... Most of these are armoured,.. few aren't.

Most vehicles are LHD, a lot of RHD also. TDs, Petrol 4500s,.. you name it, we've had it.

regards,

William Miranda
TLCA#7390

Bill would I be correct that the Toyotas are all ordered and shipped from Toyota Japan whether RHD or LHD? If so I wonder if a private citizen could custom order a LHD 105 or 78 or whatever from Toyota Japan and then import it yourself? There must be a division of Toyota Japan that deals with these things.

hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom