Corrosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
What causes battery terminal corrosion? I have it coming back on my 24v side battery but not the 12v side... WTF?

K

What causes battery terminal corrosion? I have it coming back on my 24v side battery but not the 12v side... WTF?

K

IMO - Often the seal around the terminal is bad allowing acid to seep up from inside the battery Kraig.

Using Silicone grease, Vaseline, or Lanolin on terminals/clamps does help stop corrosion (and thus helps maintain good electrical contact between clamps and terminals).

:cheers:

Thanks Tom,

So is this a signal that the battery may be going bad? If so I have a warranty and could get them both replaced for new...

Should I try it? it's alway good to have two new batteries. it will just be fun getting them to understand that BOTH will need to be replaced for use on a 24v...

Thanks Tom,

So is this a signal that the battery may be going bad? If so I have a warranty and could get them both replaced for new...

Should I try it? it's alway good to have two new batteries. it will just be fun getting them to understand that BOTH will need to be replaced for use on a 24v...

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they wouldn't accept "corroded terminals" as a valid reason for a warranty claim Kraig.

(It might just be good reason to change battery brands for your next battery purchase though.)

Talking of which - I just bought a new 700CCA battery for my BJ40 yesterday and the blasted thing cost me $280! (And that is a "reduced price" compared to most places here.)

The old battery failed to fire up the cruiser after it had been left sitting for about 3 weeks without use.

During such a long period I suspect the oil drains off the cylinder walls leaving poor-compression and "low heat-of-compression during cranking".

After recharging, the old battery managed to start the cruiser fine. But I have a long-held policy that at the first hint of battery problems I'll automatically replace (provided it's reached 3 years old and my old one had just reached that mark).

Usually I get 5 years out of my batteries so I suspect I'm dumping this one a bit prematurely .... but nevertheless I'll stick to my policy.

I have a habit of driving off to lonely places unaccompanied and often in atrocious weather .... and so I NEVER compromise on my battery.

:beer:

PS. The battery on the right here is the new one I installed today. (You can see that I've just cleaned the oxide off the terminals.)

16April10 025.jpg
16April10 025.jpg

Hello,

I agree with Tom. Faulty seals cause acid to leak and corrode terminals and wires, leaving a white sulphate residue. This is a poor conductor that reduces charge transfer.

Have the battery replaced and cover the terminals with lanoline, Vaseline or grease. It will protect them from both acid leaks and oxygen from the air.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom