Correct wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been looking for a period correct set of wheels and these popped up but now I’m second guessing whether they are correct. I don’t see tabs for hubcaps though I’m not sure I will ever run hub cals. Also any estimate for cost to blm last and paint? Would it be better to buy new steelies from Toyota?

I'd be hard pressed to trade $175 for those. And no, there is nothing to retain the hubcaps. I paid $100 to have 4 blasted and primed, and they looked better than those when I dropped them off (and they are OEM wheels). YMMV

FWIW, I don't personally think powdercoating wheels is a good idea. I can touch up paint. And wheels do get scuffed.

OEM wheels no longer come painted, just primed. So you have to add that cost to the purchase price, and they're not cheap. But they are correct.

most likely older chevy/gm rims, same bolt pattern but s stated no clips

beware the older LC rims are riveted and will not work with front disc brakes
older rims are cheaper if they will work for you, do you need a set of 4 or 5?

I believe you can still buy new wheels from Toyota. I bought mine on eBay from a dealer. Under $800 for 5 wheels with caps shipped. Of course this was 2 years ago.
5CCD5B59-1049-409E-8946-40B53FCB28E2.jpeg

Perfect, thanks guys. Ill likely go the new route.

Next question, who will convince my wife this is a need, not a want?

Perfect, thanks guys. Ill likely go the new route.

Next question, who will convince my wife this is a need, not a want?
National Landcruiser Safety Foundation strongly recommends these wheels particularly when paired with fresh rubber.

if you get used you need rims 9/73 and newer they are welded

part numbers
caps
42621-60010 caps
42621-60020 open cap

rims
42601-60072

Add a -86 to the end of the cap part numbers.

@cruiserdan When was that done? Lol I assume for both open and closed caps?

A really long time ago. The -86 suffix indicates the part in question is DOT-compliant. Use of that went a way a long time ago. They never changed the number back.

Last edited:
If GM possible the center hole is too small for the FJ40. Even the semi floating axles need the clearance. Also not all markets had center caps those wouldn't have the clips. Know Australia didn't but those may have been 16".

If GM possible the center hole is too small for the FJ40. Even the semi floating axles need the clearance. Also not all markets had center caps those wouldn't have the clips. Know Australia didn't but those may have been 16".

Those are not factory wheels. They have a lip on the backside of the center bore. Factory wheels do not.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 16-32-42 Marketplace - Toyota FJ40 Steelies Facebook.png

There was a15 inch factory wheel without the clips (now discontinued), 42601-60082. It was used in the US market on base model 4wd pickups 1979-81 and was painted white in that application. It does show up in the Cruiser catalog but I don't think it was ever fitted in the US market.

Those are not factory wheels. They have a lip on the backside of the center bore. Factory wheels do not.

View attachment 3267556

Maybe just the photo but look like they could be wider than 40 series wheels.

Have so many of riveted wheels thinking of doing the junk yard trick. Weld a wheel vertical into one laying flat. Use it to support a frame while stripping a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom