Correct temperature sending unit for sbc 350 to 40 series cluster

Hi all,

A tale of 2 gauges. I was thinking my 40 was overheating but I installed an aftermarket gauge and it tells me I'm actually running on the cool side. When the bosch reads 185, the OEM cluster tacks out at H. I'm guessing my sender is the wrong one for my old stock gauge cluster. Does anyone know the proper sender to get to use with my sbc 350 so my oem gauge will operate in the correct range? Links to products would be helpful.

It's a 12/70 built - 40 series with a 350 SBC conversion. I assume the gauges are original, but I can't confirm as I've only had the truck a couple of years.

20220802_185819_resized.jpg

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
If you want to run the stk gauges then you need to run the stk oil an temp senders for your 40. The oil senders threads are close enuff to thread into the SBC. The temp sender needs an adapter to screw into the SBC then the stk sender will thread into the adapter. I dont know the part #'s, but you can use the search function you'll find the #'s you need. I think I just recently purchased the adapter and temp sender from my local Toyota dealer. Maybe @ToyotaMatt or someone else will chime in with more info.

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Website
vintageteqparts.com
Hi all,

A tale of 2 gauges. I was thinking my 40 was overheating but I installed an aftermarket gauge and it tells me I'm actually running on the cool side. When the bosch reads 185, the OEM cluster tacks out at H. I'm guessing my sender is the wrong one for my old stock gauge cluster. Does anyone know the proper sender to get to use with my sbc 350 so my oem gauge will operate in the correct range? Links to products would be helpful.

It's a 12/70 built - 40 series with a 350 SBC conversion. I assume the gauges are original, but I can't confirm as I've only had the truck a couple of years.

View attachment 3076758
If you want to run the stk gauges then you need to run the stk oil an temp senders for your 40. The oil senders threads are close enuff to thread into the SBC. The temp sender needs an adapter to screw into the SBC then the stk sender will thread into the adapter. I dont know the part #'s, but you can use the search function you'll find the #'s you need. I think I just recently purchased the adapter and temp sender from my local Toyota dealer. Maybe @ToyotaMatt or someone else will chime in with more info.

i don't get into ANYTHING non-OEM factory like SBC , sorry

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
i don't get into ANYTHING non-OEM factory like SBC , sorry

He needs stk FJ40 oil and temp sending units for his 12/1970 gauge cluster .

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Website
vintageteqparts.com
He needs stk FJ40 oil and temp sending units for his 12/1970 gauge cluster .
Hi all,

View attachment 3076758

oh sorry i misunderstood ,

YES sure i have BOTH of those IN-stock

he WILL need a TALL SENSOR UNIION TOO

i DO have my Reproduction ones available ,

1659555360360.png

1659555376161.png

1659555393484.png

oh sorry i misunderstood ,

YES sure i have BOTH of those IN-stock

he WILL need a TALL SENSOR UNIION TOO

i DO have my Reproduction ones available ,

View attachment 3076823

View attachment 3076824

View attachment 3076825
This is what looks to be currently installed. The sender with the union in the center of your last pic. The sender is definitely registering heat, as it starts out cold and gradually goes up and pegs H as the temp goes up. But it pegs H on my stock gauge at about 180 degrees. I thought I must have the incorrect ohm sender for the gauge or something? Can a bad sender give a false reading or will it just give no reading at all?

20220731_121551.jpg

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
If you ground the temp wire it will go to H. I suspect either a bad or most likely a wrong sensor. In Matt's last pic the adaptor I used looks like the short silver adapter on the left,fyi. My 40 is a 75 and the cluster is different. My sensor was a short one. I'm not sure if the long and short ones read the same or not. You most likely need the long one in Matts pic along w/his long union and the adaptor so it threads into the sbc. Typically the temp sensor on a sbc is in the driver side head between #1 & 3 plug. I found the pic below from another post.
AA4F796E-53D7-4A17-B241-28309B706349.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom