Correct Rear Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 FJ40 (10/69). I ordered the rebuild kits for the rear from Advanced Auto; Beck Arnley (PN 071-2034). When it arrived I discovered the cup for the adjustment wheel was different than the old one I removed. In the picture the new cup is on the left, the old one on the right. I returned them and ordered new kits from Cruiser Outfitters... only to recieve the same style from Kurt (JBS, PN 04476-60011). Now I wonder if I have the correct cylinders for my cruiser...

The cylinders all have the Toyota logo. The markings on them are:
R 57
R 52
L 58
L 52

The original cup fits perfectly (but is cracked with age). The new one binds when I turn the adjuster wheel and doesn't seem to fit properly... Please offer some insight. Thanks.
IMG_0791.jpg
WP_000178.jpg

A 10/69 is still a '69. Is there a cutoff between 69 and 70?

Pighead said:
A 10/69 is still a '69. Is there a cutoff between 69 and 70?

The switch from '69 to '70 was mid-month 10/69.

FWIW my 40 was built 10/69 and is titled as a 1970 model although I consider it a '69 since it has bullet style parking lights on the bib and does not have side marker lights.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Last edited:
The switch from '69 to '70 was mid-month 10/69.

FWIW my 40 was built 10/69 and is titled as a 1970 model although I consider it a '69 since it has bullet style parking lights on the bib and does not have side marker lights.

Mine does not have the bullet lights on the bib and does have side marker lights...

Cruiserless said:
Mine does not have the bullet lights on the bib and does have side marker lights...

Yep, that's a '70. Unfortunately I can't help you with the brake parts.

Last edited:
Still need help determining which rubber cup is correct... :confused:

Sorry to hear the cylinder kits are not matching up. I can assure you that the 03/1969-7/1970 FJ40 all use the same rebuild kit (OEM# 04476-60010/11 which both were superceded to 04906-60011). Wondering if yours was updated to the 7/1970+ cylinders which use the 04476-60020. I'll try and remember to spy the difference when I'm in the shop tomorrow.

Sorry to hear the cylinder kits are not matching up. I can assure you that the 03/1969-7/1970 FJ40 all use the same rebuild kit (OEM# 04476-60010/11 which both were superceded to 04906-60011). Wondering if yours was updated to the 7/1970+ cylinders which use the 04476-60020. I'll try and remember to spy the difference when I'm in the shop tomorrow.

Thanks Kurt! When I received your parts I figured the problem was on my end... if you have a kit with the top cup that looks like my old one in the picture, please post the part number. Thanks again!
Russ

Ok... Take a look at the picture. Do I have this mounted correct? I think I was trying to install it upside down to begin with... this seems to fit better but still looks odd / different from my original one.

WP_000216.jpg
WP_000219.jpg

Ok... Take a look at the picture. Do I have this mounted correct?

Yes, that looks correct. But the adjuster looks really chewed up. Also, put a thin layer of anti-seize around the body of the adjuster and in the socket of the cylinder before you put them together..

RAYBESTOS Part # WK1827 is the Raybestos part number for the fronts. The rears are the WK640.

The pics don't show it but they come with new springs too.

We are working on a May of '69 FJ40.

Rears
WK640-1__ra_p.jpg

Fronts
WK1827-1__ra_p.jpg

I have a 1970 FJ40 (10/69). IThe new one binds when I turn the adjuster wheel and doesn't seem to fit properly... Please offer some insight. Thanks.

They are called boots.
I have used lots of the ones you call "new" style and they work fine. You have to push the skirt of the boot into the groove of the casting. Lubricate the rubber with brake lube or glycerol to prevent binding. You appear to have them installed correctly in your later images.

I am using the NAPA #1218 rebuild kit, will post up pics when completed. I am rebuilding them on a 1978 though.................

Digging up an ancient thread here, but this is the only info I could find on the subject. I'm rebuilding a 9/69 FJ40 and am just about to assemble front wheels. I pulled the cylinders and realized mine are either missing one boot on each of the fronts or are just different than my rear cylinders and later model front cylinders.

Can anyone familiar with this year tell me if these are complete or if I should have rubber on both sides of the cylinder? The raybestos part noted above seems to confirm mine are correct. They are in good shape so I'd prefer to not order unnecessary parts.

20210608_203654.jpg

Take a look at some for sale. For 1969.

Seen lots of those but they're not OEM. I'm specifically trying to find out what should be on these cylinders. Wanting to restore whatever I can instead of replacing. Thanks!

Seen lots of those but they're not OEM. I'm specifically trying to find out what should be on these cylinders. Wanting to restore whatever I can instead of replacing. Thanks!

OK. Oem here. Just for info, aftermarket copies OEM so rubber caps follow.

OK. Oem here. Just for info, aftermarket copies OEM so rubber caps follow.

I appreciate the info but those are listed as 71-75. I think I may have the answer to my question though. Mine couldn't have rubber on both sides because the arm that rests in the adjustment wheel couldn't reach over a rubber cap. The later model has a differently shaped arm altogether.

Resized_20210605_140443.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom