Corona be damned, I’m back with an 80! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Real nice looking truck!

What product and process did you use to shiner up?

I’m a big fan of Adams polishes, but I doubt they are a whole lot different than other leading manufacturers. A good wash first, but the clay bar did a great job of removing the surface contaminants, and then the polish got the the oxidation off. Of course followed with a good wax for protection. Clay bars are amazing, especially on white paint that shows every little spec of rail dust and other crap! I’m just trying to find the silver lining during all this, I simply wouldn’t have this kind of time otherwise.

I love these early 80's. You just can't beat a plain and simple white 80. I just finished a restoration/preservation on a low-mile California native 80. As a by product the "parts" car I bought for my restoration became my son's first car. (second photo is a 1992) Keep it basic and simple. It will stand out in a crowd. These early 80's have a retro look to them that seem to back date them. Folks tell me mine looks like a 1970's classic and are shocked to learn it is a 91. Somehow I think this is perfect. The retro decals help as well on my son's 92.

85B393B2-BFDB-4440-B419-F8787A6B63E3.jpeg

B477F38D-FC74-410D-A4DA-9F13A7789585.jpeg

Last edited:
I love these early 80's. You just can't beat a plain and simple white 80. I just finished a restoration/preservation on a low-mile California native 80. Keep it basic and simple. It will stand out in a crowd. These early 80's have a retro look to them that seem to back date them. Folks tell me mine looks like a 70's and are shocked to learn it is a 91.

View attachment 2259018

My thoughts exactly - keep it stock (well, a little lift never hurt anybody) and classic looking. I’m of the age that still views this era LC as a bit of a used car, but they are quickly becoming a classic. Latest Hagertys magazine had a great little write-up on each generation and kind of supported this feeling on the 80s. My teenage daughter loves to ride in it, viewing it probably much the same as I did when I was her age, when riding in a friends classic bronco.

C5DC5CF7-2CE8-4FD1-A03E-0C7B4604A7FB.jpeg

I Havnt done much lately, but I figured I’d check in for those who like boring “builds” of plain ass stock looking white trucks.

It needed shocks, and as I’ve been on the fence with what I want to do with this thing, I opted for a stock, easily accessible replacement. What I can say is no matter what your wife, GF, husband, or whoever tells you, size does matter. These KYBs pretty much suck, and look like pencils compared to OEM and an unbranded (probably Monroe) replacement. If you want cheap factory height shocks, stick with Toyota OEM. It does ride better, but that’s not a high standard compared to blown shocks.
932470F0-7D25-4C1F-96F5-34CD292030C0.jpeg

I also went factory size with 31x10.5 BFGs today and decided to keep this thing basically stock, and just keep addressing little odds and ends. I’ll just have to buy another one for a trail rig🤷🏻‍♂️ I do think it will see be an ARB non-winch and OME factory height springs soon.

B8174DBD-255B-43F6-AB44-F536C60EE10B.jpeg

It’s hard to resist ARB, I don’t know why. Also, these 80 series seem to get smaller every year, I don’t view my daily Tundra as big but it sure looks it side by side!
790E3C33-9B52-461A-820B-59997D386674.jpeg
B1E1BDC1-1E08-4FAC-B67E-D16FEE589604.jpeg

Thats the GREAT thing about Toyota Super White, it shines up very well with very little effort! (As long as some PO didn't repaint it for some stupid reason and they covered it with clear coat)

I love these early 80's. You just can't beat a plain and simple white 80. I just finished a restoration/preservation on a low-mile California native 80. As a by product the "parts" car I bought for my restoration became my son's first car. (second photo is a 1992) Keep it basic and simple. It will stand out in a crowd. These early 80's have a retro look to them that seem to back date them. Folks tell me mine looks like a 1970's classic and are shocked to learn it is a 91. Somehow I think this is perfect. The retro decals help as well on my son's 92.

View attachment 2259018

View attachment 2259021

That thing is SO cool!

View attachment 2259018

View attachment 2259021

Aside from the "TOYOTA", I really dig the color scheme! Add some 8 hole wheels and it'll pop even more!

That thing is SO cool!
Thank you, My kid won't let it go. Bought a near perfect 03 4Runner V8 from a neighbor for him and he refuses to drive it.

Bloated rig beside a fine example of Japanese engineering excellence.

I think the Tundra is the best looking full size on the market. Too each his own though... ;)
That just means it's the least ugly.

Oh, and why not just have your cake and eat it too - buy a Land Cruiser with a 5.7, and get the best of both worlds!

That just means it's the least ugly.

Oh, and why not just have your cake and eat it too - buy a Land Cruiser with a 5.7, and get the best of both worlds!

There is like a 3 foot wheel base difference, a land cruiser doesn’t tow like a truck. Discussion for another thread, but that’s just a fact. When my wife no longer needs the Sienna, there will be an 80 in my drive way!

I mean, that'd be great, but first I need to find a spare 80 large. Maybe in 2030...

Don’t need 80 on the used market!

I shouldn’t have posted that picture. Hopefully this week I’ll get back to tinkering so I have something new to update. Carryon ladies.

I’ve been out of town, so I haven’t touched the cruiser. Pulled this thread up and can’t help but laugh. You couldn’t give a car away when I grabbed this one, wife thought I was nuts and now clean trucks are through the roof again. Who else wants that 5$ gas to return so we can gets some deals again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom