Copart Did someone here buy this 1980 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JVZii

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I bid on this 40 until it was over 4k then finally gave up. If you look close this was probably a great cruiser before something really horrible happened to it.

It looks like a tree fell on it. Well, I hope a tree fell on it instead of it rolling. Anyway, I would love to know if there is a story behind it.

Screenshot_20210715-232013__01.jpg

I’m curious if there was an OEM roll bar in that. If there was it doesn’t look like it helped much. :oops:

I’m curious if there was an OEM roll bar in that. If there was it doesn’t look like it helped much. :oops:

Looks like a large tree fell on the back. Only a heavy duty roll cage welded to the frame would help the body. Then probably have more frame damage. Heavy duty cage mounted body would have had less damage to the top (still destroyed) and rear fender well would have had more damage (again destroyed both ways). Either way cruiser would have been a totalled. For protection of passengers heavy cage welded to the frame would have helped the most. I think this was a parked when this happened. In that case would rather deal with body damage than frame damage. But would never think of paying anywhere close to $4K for it.

It was over 5k that it sold for. I stopped at 4 figuring the power steering alone was 2. I do think it was a tree or pole that fell on it as well.

It was over 5k that it sold for. I stopped at 4 figuring the power steering alone was 2. I do think it was a tree or pole that fell on it as well.

Thinking tree mainly because seen a number of FJ40s pictured here where a tree fell on it. The back is not pushed in like it backed into a pole. For a pole heavy enough to do that type of damage would have had hit pretty hard to fall over.

If it was a 81+ might have been closer to the selling price. Would not pay $2K for a used power steering I did not know the condition. Split transfer case, transmission crossmember and hand brake on the rear axle were big improvements in 81. 81/82 wouldn't have the oiler in the transfer case for the H55F fifth gear but front half of the transfer case could be replaced.

The bezel is correct... Not much to salvage body wise except front fenders and turn signals. The frame has to be toast from that damage. Even if it had a good engine and tranny/transfer case it is not worth 5K.

Lots of good parts on there but agreed not $5k as a lot. Maybe $3k max. Great parts truck if you have a early and want to upgrade everything all at once

🤔 Maybe somebody who can’t register their grey market import?

Thinking tree mainly because seen a number of FJ40s pictured here where a tree fell on it. The back is not pushed in like it backed into a pole. For a pole heavy enough to do that type of damage would have had hit pretty hard to fall over.

If it was a 81+ might have been closer to the selling price. Would not pay $2K for a used power steering I did not know the condition. Split transfer case, transmission crossmember and hand brake on the rear axle were big improvements in 81. 81/82 wouldn't have the oiler in the transfer case for the H55F fifth gear but front half of the transfer case could be replaced.

I kind of disagree. If anyone has a complete 79/80 power steering setup, I would pay 2k all day long regardless of condition. I have found these complete sets don't really exist in the real world.

Anyway it is a shame. This was a well preserved 40 before the Land Cruiser gods decided to take her home.

Another fine coparts find in California

7C908482-2F34-45A0-BAFB-492BE166D1A9.jpeg

Lots of good parts on there but agreed not $5k as a lot. Maybe $3k max. Great parts truck if you have a early and want to upgrade everything all at once

Have to disagree. I have a 79 which is really the same as 80. 79/80 only real running gear upgrades were A/C and power steering which were options. 8/80+ (81 model) had split transfer case and hand brake on the rear axle. The transmission also used a crossmember making it easier to install a H55F. 79/80 had the redesigned tub with the larger fuel tank under the tub. But this one is too far gone to take advantage of that. Bought my 79 from a friend years ago, for years wished it was a 78. Once I had 40 series H55F was glad it was 79 and not a 78. Other than the power steering see nothing usable other than a four speed if you have a three speed.

Other than the power steering see nothing usable other than a four speed if you have a three speed.

there is more than just the 4 speed, large pattern knuckle disc brake front axle, 8274 Warn winch
power steering is still the 1 piece shaft, as stated 79-80 only
I remember looking at the pics before the auction, can't remember if it had air also, front seat bases with good covers and a floormat????

still more than I would have paid for it, plus all the extra fees to actually buy it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom