Cooper ST Maxx in snow, Any good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know a lot of you guys were running Cooper ST Maxx a few years ago. What the consensus on them? I have MTs but will be switching to AT soon. Need something better in the snowy roads. Mostly looking at Falken Wildpeak A/T3 but saw the Cooper ST Max were the same price. So i am back thinking about them. I will also use them for a lot of road miles but need them to work on trails as well when aired down.

we have had excellent luck with the cooper st maxx. tire wear has been good and traction is very good on ice. I put a set of the falkens on one of my dodges due to not able to get the coopers at the time. they seem okay but feel a little looser driving them. I know a lot of farmers using them and they seem to like them. I put a set of toyos at3? on my 84 pu mainly due to skinny but 33 tall. they drive really nice but haven't had enough weather this year to know how they do. my favorite of those three is the st max

I haven't driven with mine in the snow a lot yet, but so far I'm impressed. I've rarely had to use 4wd, and the deep snow performance is pretty good too. I stuck them on an FJ62 for a trip a year ago and plowed through a good 16" of snow without a problem.

I didn't think they were great for snow on the road. They would lock up and slide pretty easily for me. They seemed to do ok in Off road snow.
I also barely got 30k miles out of them, with regular rotations. They rode really rough for me at the end.
I was happy with the them otherwise. I beat the crap out of them offroad. Ended up ripping a side wall on goose lake trail.
I went with toyo MT this time. Siped, they are just as good or better on the unmaintained Bozeman winter roads.

years ago i was in the middle of season so told sam to get tires on 3 vehicles. can't remember what tire i told him to get but he came home with duratracs. these were a new tire at the time and looked really nice. anyway on 16 inch rims they were good. drove good and held up okay. on the dodge pu with 17" rims they were beyond terrible. you'd go to pass someone and the sidewalls would flex and it felt like they were breaking loose. the wife wouldn't drive that pu. seems like everytire has issues, sometimes you luck out othertimes not so much. I bet all these reports have made your decision much easier, lol. on a side note, Sam has a set of st maxx'. on his f150 with over 60000 miles on them 35's and i don't remember the rim size. almost all highway miles between casper and here. think it's his 4th set. we usually sipe the centers

years ago i was in the middle of season so told sam to get tires on 3 vehicles. can't remember what tire i told him to get but he came home with duratracs. these were a new tire at the time and looked really nice. anyway on 16 inch rims they were good. drove good and held up okay. on the dodge pu with 17" rims they were beyond terrible. you'd go to pass someone and the sidewalls would flex and it felt like they were breaking loose. the wife wouldn't drive that pu. seems like everytire has issues, sometimes you luck out othertimes not so much. I bet all these reports have made your decision much easier, lol. on a side note, Sam has a set of st maxx'. on his f150 with over 60000 miles on them 35's and i don't remember the rim size. almost all highway miles between casper and here. think it's his 4th set. we usually sipe the centers
I didn't have my coopers siped, I do think that would have helped a lot in snow.
I don't think the sidewalls were weak, it hit a sharp rock. One took a rip to the sidewall and still held on for thousands of miles.

MTs won't be good in snow and ice (other than deep snow), no matter what. It's not what they're built for. An AT will be better, but nothing will perform like snow tires. If you want to get MTs get them, but be ready for them to drive like sh*t on the icy roads and have to employ a lot more defensive driving skills.

MTs won't be good in snow and ice (other than deep snow), no matter what. It's not what they're built for. An AT will be better, but nothing will perform like snow tires. If you want to get MTs get them, but be ready for them to drive like sh*t on the icy roads and have to employ a lot more defensive driving skills.

This. "Good" is a relative term. People probably would say they are fine, and fine they probably are. MTs suck in slick conditions. The STMaxx is similarly sipped like the Geolandar MTs I run. They plain suck in your typical 1-2" of snow and ice we often see here in Ohio. Sure I'd love to take them out in a huge snowfall, and theyd probably rock, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Now will you be just fine and get where you need to go? Most certainly yes. Just be careful. If you dont know any better then you'd probably never know, but its a crazy reality check to get out of your Toyota with MTs you thought was pretty good and into a something like a AWD BMW with snow tires.....like velcro lol.

This. "Good" is a relative term. People probably would say they are fine, and fine they probably are. MTs suck in slick conditions. The STMaxx is similarly sipped like the Geolandar MTs I run. They plain suck in your typical 1-2" of snow and ice we often see here in Ohio. Sure I'd love to take them out in a huge snowfall, and theyd probably rock, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Now will you be just fine and get where you need to go? Most certainly yes. Just be careful. If you dont know any better then you'd probably never know, but its a crazy reality check to get out of your Toyota with MTs you thought was pretty good and into a something like a AWD BMW with snow tires.....like velcro lol.

OP is switching from MT to AT.

remind me again who made you an expert

I reread as well. The Wildpeaks are probably a much smarter choice. The STMaxx just seems closer to a MT than AT and coupled with the fact they are known to be very very stiff and wear like iron, they are probably like plastic in the snow and cold.

I know a lot of you guys were running Cooper ST Maxx a few years ago. What the consensus on them? I have MTs but will be switching to AT soon. Need something better in the snowy roads. Mostly looking at Falken Wildpeak A/T3 but saw the Cooper ST Max were the same price. So i am back thinking about them. I will also use them for a lot of road miles but need them to work on trails as well when aired down.
You’ll like the maxxs a lot. I had a set and I loved them a lot. The sidewalls are super tough and the tread works well in everything but mud. If I could’ve found them for a good price I would’ve gotten them again.

She has personal experience driving a car with mts one day and then another with ATs. I think that’s grounds to make the comment that she did
i was just being spicy i apologized

I have the Cooper ST Maxx's on my wifes bone stock 80, they are at 50% life, 285/75r16. On my fully built and quite heavy 80 I have the Falken AT3W's at 85% life, 315/75r16. The falkens are a much better tire for everything Montana offers. Before the falkens I had two sets of duratracs and 2 sets of toyo country MT's. Go with the falkens, you wont be disappointed.

I have the Cooper ST Maxx's on my wifes bone stock 80, they are at 50% life, 285/75r16. On my fully built and quite heavy 80 I have the Falken AT3W's at 85% life, 315/75r16. The falkens are a much better tire for everything Montana offers. Before the falkens I had two sets of duratracs and 2 sets of toyo country MT's. Go with the falkens, you wont be disappointed.
So are you saying that the Falkens are better off road as well? Off road is important to me i am just trying to find the right ballance. Good on the trails and better on snowy roads than my Yokohama G003 MT.

So are you saying that the Falkens are better off road as well? Off road is important to me i am just trying to find the right ballance. Good on the trails and better on snowy roads than my Yokohama G003 MT.
You’ll honestly be happy with either way, I wheeled the same trails with my roommates disco 2 on wildpeaks for 2 years and neither tire really took a definitive lead on any of the trails we did. Flip a coin and be happy😂 I’m running general atxs now and I’d honestly take either of the 3 if the price is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom