Cooper Discoverer STT PROs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was seriously looking at Cooper STTs and Toyo Open Country M/Ts, as they have VERY similar tread patterns. While I was researching the Coopers, I wondered across the Discoverer STT PROs. I was only able to find a few reviews of them, since they are new to the market, but I was quite impressed.

Expedition Portal:
http://expeditionportal.com/exclusive-cooper-discoverer-stt-pro-review/

and
Alex on Autos:

I went with a 285/70/17 and I couldn't be happier with the aggressive look of these tires. They have lots of void space between the lugs by the shoulders, and the sidewall tread should really help when aired down. I found these for only $236 per tire, with a quick Google search.
Qjb0Fp3.jpg

piiK5wC.jpg

Yes..., they do hum. Although, it is not as noticeable as I expected it to be. At low speeds in town they are about as loud as the ATs on my Tundra. Traveling over 65 mph does require the radio to be turned up, or to speak a little louder to converse. The stiffness in the 3-ply sidewalls is noticeable going over bumps compared to the stock Michelins, but seriously it should be. The one thing I don't like is they do seem to track more in the low spots of the road requiring a bit more attention and effort to keep straight and centered. And No, its not an alignment issue. I had an alignment when they were mounted and balanced. Overall I am pleased with the on road performance for such an aggressive mud tire.

I know, I know, you really just want to hear how they perform in mud and on the trails? Well, I plan to report back over the next few weeks. I am waiting on extended brake lines, and I have to replace a leaky radiator before I can go play. So stay tuned.:steer:

Those look great on the GX!
Thanks, I love the look too!

So how do these compare to the regular STT ? Are these phasing out the STT ?
I have never run a set of the STT tires before. This is actually my first set of true mud tires. This article, from June 2nd, does say, "The Discoverer STT PRO is replacing the Discoverer STT."

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/cha.../cooper-unveils-premium-off-road-lt-tire.aspx

So, as far as I know, the STTs are now obsolete. The PROs are supposed to have improvements over the STT, in just about every department.

They look nice. The 3 separate words help the white-out look pretty nice.

I got to get some beach driving in and had zero traction problems. I decided to not air down and kept them above 35 psi.
Vvq2PGk.jpg

J2kKYIv.jpg

I even had to pull out this guys Z71 Tahoe on BFG KM2s, (he couldn't get his 4wd to engage).
C6D5LMO.jpg

So far I've put about 2,000 miles on the tires. The more I drive them the more I like them. I think my initial reports were over critical, and that I was searching for issues with the tires.

• The humming is barely noticeable. After completing a 1,600 mile summer trip, my wife and I didn't have to speak any louder going down the interstate.
  • The ride was just as comfortable as a Lexus should have.
  • I didn't notice any tracking or pulling issues, unless the roads were terrible and rutted.
  • I was extremely impressed with how they performed at 75mph in a torrential downpour.
  • I honestly tried to get halfway stuck on the beach just for fun, but couldn't do it.
I still have a lot of miles and trials to put these through, but at this point I would buy these again.

How many miles do you have on them? Are they wearing well?

My only real concern is sidewall strength. I was about to pull the trigger on toyos but in a 315 they weigh 10 lbs a tire more than the cooper.

I didn't know the pros were going to replace the STT. I have STT on my pig and I love them.

I'v been really happy with the STTs too, sorry to see them go away.

Any more updates? I am seriously considering these over the Nitto Trail Grapplers.

I recently drove around 45 miles of country dirt and gravel roads. I drove the first half at 35psi, and the second half at 25psi. The tires did great, airing down just a bit made the ride quite comfortable. I highly recommend theses tires, and I was able to get 5 for the price of 4 competing tires.

Finally got a decent snow a week ago. In my area we had rain, that then started freezing. It turned the roads into nice sheets of ice. Then it changed to snow. By the time the snow stopped we had around 3" of snow on top of a 1/4" of solid ice. I was able to drive around cautiously with complete confidence. Not once did I experience any wheel spin or sliding. The tires packed the snow down between the treads and propelled the wagon forward. These tires continues to impress.

WYlIyJ4.jpg
MBYm13n.jpg

Sweet. Any mud yet?

Found mud and rocks. The Cooper's did great, even crawling over rocks after creek crossings. Sorry my camera crew didn't get any good footage of the technical stuff.

I too, am curious. I run the Toyo MT's and am now on my second set. Contrary to popular comment,
they do flex really well aired down and I've never thought to change. But in market for new set for
my BJ74 and a friend is really telling me to look at these. So any review info I'd sure appreciate.

Imo there is no comparison to the toyos
These are head and shoulders better. Im pretty sure if it weren't for Schuab, Toyo wouldn't even be in the conversation

Its Nice, How many miles do you have on them? Are they wearing well?

I have almost 25k miles on them now. The tread wear is barely even noticable. I would bet that 65k miles is doable before having traction concerns off road. And if you wanted to run them till the treads gone on the street I really think they could see 100k easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom