Cooling the 351 cleveland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys,

Had my girl on the road for a few days now and she overheats like crazy. Its a 351 cleveland running a standard non clutch fan and no shroud plus original radiator.

So I've changed over the thermostat, ordered a heavy duty 3 core radiator to help fix part of the problem and now trying to address the final part.

A) Install a clutch fan and shroud? - If you think this is the best idea, is the install of a clutch fan difficult? Do I just remove the the original fan off the water pump, bolt the fan to the back of the clutch fan and then install the clutch fan onto the water pump and I am good to go?

B) Shroud and High Flow 16 inch single thermo fan as alternative?

Suggestions on best way to fix?

Thanks!

:popcorn:

I think the new radiator and the shroud should do the trick. The clutch fan will be quieter, but won't necessarily cool better than what you have now. It's a good idea.

Radiators are not created equal. Look at the cooling fins per inch. I got a cheap replacement for my 1-ton and luckily got a chance to compare it to the OEM once before I installed it. The OEM radiator had more than double the cooling fins per inch.

Leave the direct drive fan and add the shroud. My SBC runs very cool in heavy traffic with this set-up.

We scratched our head for a while with a 350 SBC Ramjet install and serpentine belt setup. The water pump was reverse flow and I stupidly put a normal fan from an old SBC on the system. The Duh! moment arrived after a few beers while thinkin' it over. Put a reverse direction clutch fan and a modified shroud from a heep on it. Cool as a cucumber, .. 190 degrees in all conditions

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - I'm picking up the materials for the fan shroud tomorrow and will hopefully bend, cut and attach something this weekend!

Which moves me back into my other issue... front end vibration - Bought a magnetic angle finder today to check my transfer case angle vs diff angle to make sure they are within spec... then get them all checked/balanced/new uni joints...

Seriously, 351 clevelands run a different water pump than windsors with the serpentine belts. The serpentine setup runs the pump in the opposite direction. If your truck is "overheating like crazy", and not just mildly overheating when you drive for a while, then idle around with low airflow, then you probalby have something more wrong than missing a shroud.

The 351C also runs some kind of strange thermostat. You are not supposed to interchange with other ford engines, see below It's a "Robert Shaw" thermostat...

Look here... "Clevelands Forever"

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/

Last edited:
Hi Rocky

I bought a new high flow 180' thermostat the other day and to be honest (although its not been as hot here this week) its not looked like getting to warm, particularly when I am on the move.

I've got a new radiator on the way anyway which is newer and thicker than the tiny one on it now and the shroud will keep me away from the :princess: for a little bit so I can't think thats a bad thing! haha

Your the first 351C I have ever heard of in a FJ40.

What kind of adapters and ranny / TC do you have?

Picture?

Lean fuel mixture or retarded timing can cause overheating as well
Have a over 600 horse big block in a chevelle
Rad from a 4 .3 s10 runs 195 degree tops
Drop 2 jet sizes its at 210 deg
No shroud mechanical non clutch fan

The Robertshaw 330 series looks like the 333 series from the top, but flip it over & they're not the same. The 330 series is the universal thermostat that fits small block Fords, small block Chevys and small block Mopars.

That's also one way to determine what Mr Gasket & others are selling ... search which motors the thermostat fits. The 333 series fits 351C, 351M and 400 only. And a thermostat that fits 289/302/351 Fords, small block Chevys or small block Mopars will not work properly in a Cleveland.

Ford has used the Robertshaw high flow thermostat in many applications since the 1960s, and I believe they still use it today. They all look the same from the top, but only the one designed for the 351C has the little 11/16" flanged button on the bottom. Its a small subtle difference that many people don't understand. This thermostat is unique to the 335 series motors (351C, 351M, 400) and no other motor uses it.

Even Ford has sold the wrong thermostat over the counter in the 1970s! They actually boxed the wrong thermostat in the box of the right part number. Check out techincal service bulletin number 9, page 11.

My advice is to use the 333-192 thermostat. The original 351C thermostats were 192 degree thermostats.

333-180dimensions.jpg

DT66A.jpg

Robertshaw330Series.jpg
333-180dimensions.jpg
DT66A.jpg
Robertshaw330Series.jpg

The correct thermostat for a cleveland is a big deal. Also verify that the brass restrictor is in the block underneath the thermostat. This is a pressed in brass part that should stay in the block but is frequently pulled and lost over the years when block is re-worked.

The network 54 forum is the best cleveland forum if you get into more questions.

Would like to see pictures of install. I almost did the cleveland FJ40 as I'm pretty much cleveland nuts but did not want to create yet another "project".

Post some pics of your Cleveland when you get a chance. Would love to see it.

That would really suck if it is just the wrong thermostat and you've bought a new rad etc./..But in the event that it still runs hot and I suspect that it might, I ended up with a 3 core alumin rad, with a 3600 CFM puller electric fan, and a 195 stat to keep my 5.0 HO cooled off. Here is a link to my 5.0 install. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/339959-those-ford-powered-40s-2.html

Unfortunately at the time, the thread didn't contuinue through as I continually sorted and futzed with my cooling. I think the last discussions in the thread re: cooling, I was playing russian roulette with theromstats. I too would like to see pics of the Cleveland install....post'em up :grinpimp:

Updates

Hi guys

Few things to answer here...

The Ford 351 Cleveland was put in via the Marks Adapter Kits they sell here

http://www.marks4wd.com/products

I assume you guys them in the States as well? They are made to fit just about any brand V8 you can buy.

I know they are rare (the FJ's with a 351) and I probably would have put in a Chev if it was me but its what I bought with it so ill stick with it :cheers:

The new thermostat is http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/tridon-thermostat-tt2023-180.html Dont worry it didn't cost this much but its just a link with all the best info that I can find.

I have installed the new 3 core Aluminium Radiator but my lovely previous owner decided to remove the radiator brackets and tack weld some adapters directly to the front bib to run a slightly larger (although still useless) radiator to it - so its now got a 3 core BJ40 rad (I needed the inlet hose on the left side due to the water pump hose on the left - if sitting in the cab).

I have bolted up a 16 inch 3300cfm electric fan but sadly ran out of time yesterday to get it wired up so that's the next job. I started to build a shroud but it won't fit if I wanted to use the electric fan (yes I know everyone says use the mechanical but I'm not so we can discuss that later if it won't keep her cool).

The advantage of the 16 inch fan is that it covers 95% of the entire radiator anyway.

My Exhaust guy told me the water pump on it was for some other hunk of junk so I also managed to put a heavy duty proper cleveland one on as well - Fabbed up some brackets for the radiator.

Its running the original 4 speed gearbox and with all the nice torque unless you are coming to a stop you can basically drive it in 4th all the time - this thing would pull tree stumps out of the ground.

Did I miss anything? I will post up pics of her when I get the fan done and clean out all the old rusty water spray from when she overheated and spat hot water everywhere.

:beer:

BTW

That would really suck if it is just the wrong thermostat and you've bought a new rad etc./..But in the event that it still runs hot and I suspect that it might, I ended up with a 3 core alumin rad, with a 3600 CFM puller electric fan, and a 195 stat to keep my 5.0 HO cooled off. Here is a link to my 5.0 install. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/339959-those-ford-powered-40s-2.html

Unfortunately at the time, the thread didn't contuinue through as I continually sorted and futzed with my cooling. I think the last discussions in the thread re: cooling, I was playing russian roulette with theromstats. I too would like to see pics of the Cleveland install....post'em up :grinpimp:

BTW - My FJ looks almost exactly like yours.. except mine has a black roof as well!!!!

Your thermostat picture looks wrong (no little flange on the bottom), but the link says it's designed for the 351 Cleveland (and I guess you guys down under use a lot of them, so.....).

Anyway - sounds like you are having fun with it!

This should not be an insoluble problem - hopefully a new water pump / fan etc. will get you going.

If it doesn't, you've got another (relatively easy) thing you can check.

Rocky

I did notice that when I looked at it... though I will say that in its time our XY GT Phase 3 (which runs the 351 cleveland) was the fastest Sedan in the world (early 1970's) so I am confident that if that engine runs one then it should be fine in my beasty!

I will keep everyone updated either way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom