Cooling System Running Hot What Next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you changed out the radiator, did you give the AC condenser a good scrub down front and rear?

Here's something that probably can't hurt anything. Drain a little bit of radiator fluid out, so that the level is a little lower, undo the heater hose at the top of the metal pipe that connects to the PHH, then add coolent to that pipe to make sure your block is full of coolent. Then top off the radiator.

You did replace te radiator earlier in the project right? I don't recall you writing it, but people have referrenced you replacing the radiator with a new one several times.

If not, sludge plugged radiators are very, very common. I've had the stock radiator flushed out, but it still never removed the sludged. I ended up buying an all new one.

As you can see from my avatar, I have plenty of things blocking my radiator flow and yet I have zero cooling issues, now that I have all new parts. There has to be something wrong mechanically with your system. If everything is new, then it comes back down to either a defective part, air in the system, or not enough coolent.

I'm leaning towards either not enough coolent and/or system not purged of air.

Did you ever fix the problem? I just flushed my coolant this past weekend and my temps are now running a few degrees higher. I replaced all the hoses, new brass radiator, new fan clutch, new thermostat, new water pump and new belts all within the last 18 mos. I'm running Toyota Red.

I agree with the prior comments on the cooling system being self purging.

I think my system is running a few degrees higher for 2 reasons: (1) the weather has warmed up 10-15 degrees since the coolant flush and (2) I was pretty diligent this time on the refill using a 50/50 mix. Last time I ran short on Toyota Red so I was probably closer to a 60/40 or 70/30 mixture (i.e., a higher % of water).

Today it was 75 degrees and w/o the A/C it was running 186 degrees and w/AC it was running 188-190 degrees.

Thought I would share my thoughts FWIW.

Did you ever fix the problem? I just flushed my coolant this past weekend and my temps are now running a few degrees higher. I replaced all the hoses, new brass radiator, new fan clutch, new thermostat, new water pump and new belts all within the last 18 mos. I'm running Toyota Red.

Today it was 75 degrees and w/o the A/C it was running 186 degrees and w/AC it was running 188-190 degrees.

No, problem never fixed. Just cooler weather. I expect to have the same problem when it warms up. Before then, I'll put in the old non-blue fan clutch and see if that makes a difference when the warmer weather comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom