cooling system revisited.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wow... I replaced my thermostat a couple of months ago and thought I'd fixed my cooling issues. Last night, I took the 40 for a drive and noticed that it "felt" hot again. My temp gauge never moved, so I ordered a new temp sending unit from CCOT becuase I'm sure that the gauge is not reading correctly. If anything, it was a place to start.

This morning, I noticed a small amount of Antifreeze on the garage floor...doh! I figured now is as good a time as any to drain/flush the cooling system, check out the water pump, etc...

The radiator is full, the overflow tank is low, and the leak is not bad (not leaking anymore since yesterday at least.) HOWEVER, I got the radiator drain plug off and NOTHING CAME OUT!! ???? I could see a "film" across the hole in the drain tap, so I tried to encourage some coolant flow by poking a screw driver in the tap hole. I got a very small amount of black crud liquid to come out, but that's it. Could a radiator be this bad? Should I even bother with it, or should I just get a new radiator and start from there?

Ugh! Thanks in advance for any replies/similar stories....

update: I stuck a longer phillips head screw driver in the radiator drain tap and out came the antifreeze. It actually looked pretty clean... I guess I'll try and flush the system and hope for the best.

Question: do I need to take out the coolant drain plug in the block when I flush the system? THX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom