Cooling off baby in backseat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just fixed the A/C. Got a new compressor, and it feels nice in the front, but whenever I take baby out of her carseat she is sweaty. I know that the warm car seat is partly to blame but I am pretty sure the air isn't circulating that well. Anyone use fans in their 80? I've found a few on Amazon but wanted to see if there are any recommended that worked well in the 80's middle row.

Thanks!

There are some small 12V High Pressure Blowers that are fairly compact. You can use sump pump hose under the carpet and console and tapped into the front vents to feed them.

Here you go (the hard OEM way) :doh:

I know the 80 is all bougie, but come on:) I remember when I was a kid riding in the bed of a pickup on the highway, riding my bike with no helmet, using gasoline as hand cleaner, and running with scissors while barefoot. A little sweat is good for kids these days.

In all seriousness, I used something similiar to this when i had kids in the third row. I clipped it to the upper grab handle. It worked well and definitely helped.

Amazon product ASIN B078S9Z6GF

Semi-rigid flexible duct if you’re really concerned about it.

643FE222-4615-40D0-9721-8260483C5378.jpeg

For a few years our 80 had no carpet and really heated up on long drives, via the floors. Even with well functioning AC it wasn't enough. I would mount a caframo fan on the ceiling between the front seats which helped a lot when kids were in 2nd or 3rd rows.

If you don't have sockets in the 2nd and 3rd rows there are nice clip-on, battery equipped fans that avoid wires to get tangled up in. These can double for camping, strollers, etc. and ours typically last around 5 hours on a charge:

Amazon product ASIN B08ZHZRPXV
After installing underlay/insulation and carpet temps in the truck are much more manageable. The current strategy is to point the dash vents so that they blow past the 1st row as much as possible so that we can run the AC harder without freezing the first row occupants. This worked well throughout last Summer and no added fan(s) were needed. Occasionally we'd have heavy sun on only one side of the 80 and we'd shut the vent on the shady side to balance things out.

I know the 80 is all bougie, but come on:) I remember when I was a kid riding in the bed of a pickup on the highway, riding my bike with no helmet, using gasoline as hand cleaner, and running with scissors while barefoot. A little sweat is good for kids these days.

In all seriousness, I used something similiar to this when i had kids in the third row. I clipped it to the upper grab handle. It worked well and definitely helped.

Amazon product ASIN B078S9Z6GF
It's funny because I literally did all of those things as a kid. And def still alive... haha...

Thanks everyone 👍 This baby transporter is coming along...

Here you go (the hard OEM way) :doh:

WOW....

There's actually a full rear A/C setup in a VX model 80 in the wrecker near me that I was taking bits off yesterday. That setup looks.... unbelievably complex. I think I'd sooner buy the shell of the car and move all my parts into it, than I would buy the parts and try and fit it to my car!

You're definitely on the right track. A good 12v fan would move a little air back there and that can make all the difference in the world.

Let's face it.... the stock blower and A/C system will eventually cool the vehicle (comfortably) about as far as the front seats under really hot conditions.

The human body cools itself by 'sweating' this 'perspiration' is natures version of Evaporative Cooling. The more you can aid the vaporization ....the cooler She will be. We've all been sweaty at one time and then had a nice 'breeze' blow across us. You know how good that feels. Well that is the exchange of the Heat of Vaporization in action.

So yes, get a little air 'moving' back there but realize there is a high end to what you can do before it becomes annoying. Generally about 3 fps velocity (sustained) will be comfortable and not dry anyone out. Don't blow a fan directly on Her (if it is a good one).

The increase in air pressure back there will help with the heat exchange of the evaporator too.Keep your A/C on recirculate, do not bring in outside (hot air).

Damn, I need one of those to put down my shorts. :hillbilly:

I used a USB-powered fan that worked great. I put in two Blue Sea USB power outlets in the back side of the center console.

If the car seat is still facing backwards then about the only thing that will help is a small fan. Once it faces forward (toddler age) you can open the window and blast them with fresh air.

Just remember these rigs were top of the line luxury vehicles in the 90's and they were designed to meet the needs of families in the 90's. I don't think kids have become any more sensitive to the heat in the last 30 years, although maybe because of global warming an 80 series is no longer able to adequately cool rear passengers.

That being said I have found a good method to increase A/C cooling for the rear area. I keep the floor vents turned off so only the chest level vents are open. Than with the fan on high I also close the two vents on the far left and right sides of the vehicle.

Because everything else is closed off this leaves only the two middle vents by the clock blowing cold air with even more force/pressure than normal. I have found this pushes a lot more cold air in-between the two drivers seats and further into the rear area.

I believe this works because everytime I have done this my dogs would go from laying in the back to standing up in-between the two front seats with their mouths open.

I used to try and use the side vents to direct the cold air into the back along the outsides of the front seats. But this method pushes the cold air along the windows and the cold is lost much faster than when you keep the airstream going down the middle of the vehicle.

Also with this method it seems like the front passengers still get plenty of residual coolness from the air stream.

Goodluck

images (3).jpeg

If the car seat is still facing backwards then about the only thing that will help is a small fan. Once it faces forward (toddler age) you can open the window and blast them with fresh air.

Drop an ice pack in her lap. ;)

Just kidding, that would be child abuse.

I can make a version of the Cool Cop, I have a late series 80. If you guys are interested, just need a couple of a buyers.. since its a bit of an interesting item..

I had to look this up, I didn't know this was a thing lol.

Could you make a cool cup? It could hook up to the vent under the steering wheel.......

Haha, in all actuality this is a cool idea, no pun intended. What a great way to cool down a hot crying baby!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom