Cooling/Heating system electrolysis....interesting.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by flintknapper, Jul 14, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

Here is a site with some information that may be helpful. There is much more here than I already knew, so I thought I'd share.

I had a problem with a (non-Toyota) vehicle some years back...it was going through radiators pretty regularly until we found the problem (bad grounds).

This might be worth checking out for those with "scaling problems" etc...

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/tech.htm

2. santiagol

santiagol

Using coolant as ground?

The link to this radiator site states that electrolysis will alter the properties of your coolant and can damage aluminum: true. BUT I fail to see how an improperly installed accesory can route to ground through the coolant.

A special note is made to watch out for improperly grounded starters. A starter should have its own big ground wire connected directly to the battery, no way your engine will start if this cable is broken and the only available ground is somehow through your coolant, too much resistance through this path. Also, I never knew static electricity was AC!

I would disregard any advice from these people.

3. flintknapper

flintknapper

Draw your own conclusions about the claims. I have an Early Model Bronco that has a brass radiator (2nd one). First one kept getting "pin holes" until it was no longer serviceable.

Second one started out the same way....until a guy told me to ground the radiator directly to the neg. side of batt. and make sure all grounds were good.

No problems now for over 10 years... (convinced me)!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.