Cooling Concerns On A Hot Day

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Way back when I was a much younger man, my FJ40 had a marginal cooling system. And being almost broke, I didn't have the funds to replace lots of parts. That's when I found water wetter. Made enough of a difference that I was able to continue to run that rig until funds allowed for a new radiator. I've put water wetter in every rig I've had since.
Same...

Way back when I was a much younger man, my FJ40 had a marginal cooling system. And being almost broke, I didn't have the funds to replace lots of parts. That's when I found water wetter. Made enough of a difference that I was able to continue to run that rig until funds allowed for a new radiator. I've put water wetter in every rig I've had since.

Do you run the water wetter with 50/50 antifreeze mix, or pure water? What brand do you recommend?

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Quick update:

I've been driving around for the past 200 miles without a T-stat and with distilled water and Prestone Flush + Cleaner in the old radiator. I then ran straight distilled water to flush out the remnants. It's been anywhere between 102-109F ambient, and my temps have been between 206-210F with the front and rear heaters blowing full blast. I used the AC once and chicken'd out when I saw the temps hit 225F.

The new Denso radiator arrived and I installed it, filled with 2 gallons of distilled water, 1 gallon of 50/50 red, and a bottle of Redline's Water Wetter. The T-stat was reinstalled. Temps are now 199-203F with a mix of city and highway driving with the AC on. I hit 206F while waiting at a drive-thru. Ambient today was 109F. I've yet to add the heavier silicone oil into the fan clutch because honestly, I don't have a Phillips #3 and trying to open up the clutch with a Phillips #2 is just asking for trouble. Anyways, I am happy with the results so far.

Thanks for the advice and discussion!

TYM4FUN

SILVER Star
Quick update:

I've been driving around for the past 200 miles without a T-stat and with distilled water and Prestone Flush + Cleaner in the old radiator. I then ran straight distilled water to flush out the remnants. It's been anywhere between 102-109F ambient, and my temps have been between 206-210F with the front and rear heaters blowing full blast. I used the AC once and chicken'd out when I saw the temps hit 225F.

The new Denso radiator arrived and I installed it, filled with 2 gallons of distilled water, 1 gallon of 50/50 red, and a bottle of Redline's Water Wetter. The T-stat was reinstalled. Temps are now 199-203F with a mix of city and highway driving with the AC on. I hit 206F while waiting at a drive-thru. Ambient today was 109F. I've yet to add the heavier silicone oil into the fan clutch because honestly, I don't have a Phillips #3 and trying to open up the clutch with a Phillips #2 is just asking for trouble. Anyways, I am happy with the results so far.

Perfect. With the fan clutch modded you should be golden.

1973Guppie

SILVER Star
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Quick update:

yeah used radiators are not a good idea, also consider venting the hood if you want to run even cooler, this was the single biggest mod that helped keep my eng cool

874C00E7-0E66-4DDD-8D5D-5781EBEC9E4C.jpeg

My wife tried the Blue Fan and apparently the hype is real :). Sorry, I waited all winter to drop this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom