craigslist Coolest build I've seen yet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, here's the deal....

Before I add my editorial, Bill (seller) is a good guy and not trying to pull one over on anyone. He has an awesome photographer....
He has a car import business and has just started to wade into the Land Cruiser market. I walked around, kicked the tires and we took it around the block a few times. I did not get this on the HWY up to speed, but did get it around 35mph. Enough pleasantries...

Good:
-appears to be a strong running 1HD-T
-no body rust (but see caveat below)
-minimal frame rust; actually pretty good
-pretty tight steering
- relatively new suspension (pro fender) with ~ 3" of lift
- dry knuckles (could be empty??)
- no leaks I could see
- clutch feels good

I won't say bad, but things to consider:
-ad says it is a new motor sourced from Japan (~8k miles I think). Not sure I'd believe this. There is rust on the injectors, and the motor just doesn't look new
- slight belt squeal
-interior is a bit rough. No tears, but the floor is kind of trashed, and the carpet is pulled from the back. handles are missing, and a lot of the trim is kind of a mess
-the paint job is ridiculous...seriously. anyone of us could do a much better job. No a spec of trim was removed, runs all over the place, overspray and just a really bad job. I forgot to take my magnet to check for bondo, but based upon the underside I would not suspect much rot. The paint is black. I think the OEM color was dark green
- speedo and tach do not work
- weird electrical things...(4 way flashers stay on????, window switches are reversed, some strange battery diagnostic thingy on the dash, windows are really slow)
- hood alignment is off
- spare tire is toast
- radio no workie
- side view mirrors no workie
- outside trim is a mess.....all of it.
- couldnt' tell what kind of winch, but it did have cruddy synthetic line
- no idea of what baseline maintenance was done (fluids, birfs, coolant, etc). You'd need to baseline everything
- exhaust is routed out the passenger side and it's noisy??
- sliders look to be welded and bolted to the frame (and they are loose) and made out of galvanized fence post
- I suspect i was wheeled heavy. Bill mentioned the guy wheeled it and took it to Africa. There is plenty of grimy dirt underneath to support that fact.

My thoughts: this rig might be the perfect rig if you like chasing little problems, don't mind tinkering with the small stuff, and don't care what it looks like.....I'd suspect the motor is good and the rig will run down the road just fine. But, that's a lot of money to pay for that. After spending $24k, I'd suspect you'd need to put another $2k into it to get it safe/useable and another $3k to have a good trail rig. As I wasn't interested in buying, I didnt' talk price with him. He does have it on CL for 24500 and Ebay for 24500. He mentioned that he does want to sell quickly and doesn't plan to make much on it. That being said, I don't think he can or wants to move much off $24k.

Drop me a line or let me know if I can answer any questions for those interested.

Wow, thanks for saving me the trip down there! That is a well written and clear description you have provided...all for the good of the IH8MUD! Thank You! Sincerely.

Ok, here's the deal....

Before I add my editorial, Bill (seller) is a good guy and not trying to pull one over on anyone. He has an awesome photographer....
He has a car import business and has just started to wade into the Land Cruiser market. I walked around, kicked the tires and we took it around the block a few times. I did not get this on the HWY up to speed, but did get it around 35mph. Enough pleasantries...

Good:
-pretty tight steering
- no leaks I could see
- clutch feels good

-ad says it is a new motor sourced from Japan (~8k miles I think). Not sure I'd believe this. There is rust on the injectors, and the motor just doesn't look new
- slight belt squeal
-interior is a bit rough. No tears, but the floor is kind of trashed, and the carpet is pulled from the back. handles are missing, and a lot of the trim is kind of a mess
-the paint job is ridiculous...seriously. anyone of us could do a much better job. No a spec of trim was removed, runs all over the place, overspray and just a really bad job. I forgot to take my magnet to check for bondo, but based upon the underside I would not suspect much rot. The paint is black. I think the OEM color was dark green
- weird electrical things...(4 way flashers stay on????, window switches are reversed, some strange battery diagnostic thingy on the dash, windows are really slow)
- hood alignment is off
- spare tire is toast
- radio no workie
- no idea of what baseline maintenance was done (fluids, birfs, coolant, etc). You'd need to baseline everything
- sliders look to be welded and bolted to the frame (and they are loose) and made out of galvanized fence post
- I suspect i was wheeled heavy. Bill mentioned the guy wheeled it and took it to Africa. There is plenty of grimy dirt underneath to support that fact.

My thoughts: this rig might be the perfect rig if you like chasing little problems, don't mind tinkering with the small stuff, and don't care what it looks like.....I'd suspect the motor is good and the rig will run down the road just fine. But, that's a lot of money to pay for that. After spending $24k, I'd suspect you'd need to put another $2k into it to get it safe/useable and another $3k to have a good trail rig. As I wasn't interested in buying, I didnt' talk price with him. He does have it on CL for 24500 and Ebay for 24500. He mentioned that he does want to sell quickly and doesn't plan to make much on it. That being said, I don't think he can or wants to move much off $24k.

Drop me a line or let me know if I can answer any questions for those interested.

Thank you for taking a look and reporting. Excellent.

Ok, here's the deal....

Good:
-pretty tight steering
- no leaks I could see
- clutch feels good

- slight belt squeal
- hood alignment is off
- spare tire is toast
- radio no workie

Thanks for the information. I am no longer considering calling to see about a trade for my SC'd 80!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom