Coolant woes (1 Viewer)

Just pulled into a parking lot after noticing steam coming from under the hood of my 76 FJ40 (stock 2F). I've sprung a coolant leak. I don't have my repair manual with me but it looks like coolant is pouring out from around the fan clutch area. I didn't see any blown hoses or anything so I thought maybe it was a gasket that went somewhere.... or should I prepare myself for a slightly larger issue? :doh:

Thought I'd ask while I wait.

Thanks.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star

Just pulled into a parking lot after noticing steam coming from under the hood of my 76 FJ40 (stock 2F). I've sprung a coolant leak. I don't have my repair manual with me but it looks like coolant is pouring out from around the fan clutch area. I didn't see any blown hoses or anything so I thought maybe it was a gasket that went somewhere.... or should I prepare myself for a slightly larger issue? :doh:

Thought I'd ask while I wait.

Thanks.
Your water pump probably let go. You probably did not notice the coolant from the weep hole pooling in the pulley on the front of the pump before it let go. Easy fix, swap it out with a new pump. If the hoses are original it is a perfect time to replace those also.

Thanks. :cheers: When the pump went in my 42 it wasn't so 'dramatic'. Truck has been towed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom