Coolant valley leak - other repairs while fixing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems I have the coolant valley leak on my LX.

I've tried searching but only finding bits and pieces here and there.....

Are there any other repairs I should do while fixing the valley leak? Also, I bought my LX used - is there anyway to tell if the radiator has been replaced before?

Hi Dan,

Check out this thread:

For peace of mind I just had the dealer do a three hour pressure test on my 08. We are doing a two week offroad trip next month and I wanted to be sure it wasn't an issue. We were down in southern utah last month where the temps were over 100 every day, closer to 105 and 110. Had some coolant evaporate from the reservoir, which I had never experienced before.

How many miles on your 570? Have you looked at the lexus dealer service records. You should be able to create a login with your vin# to see if and when they changed it. Take a picture of the raised square on the top of it and it'll be easy to tell if it's the new style.

Thanks guys. Will look at the "mystery" thread. Looked into service records - no sign of radiator replacement. What's fipg and what's recommended here? Is there anything that can be done while fixing the valley leak to help prevent a future valley leak (or at least prolong prevention for as long as possible)?

I have about 120K miles.

You will want to focus on the cooling parts. Water pump, belts, rad, etc...

Dumb question but basis is limited budget.

Are these leaks pretty slow? Can I drive around still? It’s not a daily driver but will use about an hour is so every week. Can I defer fixing for another couple of months? Or should I prioritize this as urgent and critical?

Do you have a leak? Take a pic and post .

Hi - took awhile to get a pic. Part of it - wasn't sure how to take off the silver cover on top of the engine. First time for everything.

Wasn't sure how best to get a pic; here's a first attempt. Does this look like the valley leak?

If so, can I still drive around a bit? Keep the reservoir at the Full level with 50% DI water, 50% Toyota coolant?

Last edited:
Those covers are a PITA. Keep them off. Store them somewhere.
I would have to say yes. You have the start of a coolant leak. It is really anyone's guess as to how far you can go.
Get a good parts list together. Include the starter. Find a guy around you who has experience or ofcourse you can always do it yourself.

Just keep an eye on it. You can probably drive for some time before repairing (weeks, months, years). Usually the valley leak is slow and not sudden and catastrophic like the radiator failure.

You want to use the Toyota pink 50/50 premix and do not add water.

I don't think there is much overlap with the coolant valley and starter replacement. Focus instead on cooling system related maintenance / repair. Replace the PCV valve while you are there. This would be a good time to extend your transmission and transfer case breathers if that is your thing.

I bought a couple of jugs of coolant. I’ll top it off and see how fast it’s leaking. How about if I service it when it gets to the reservoir being empty when I fill the gas tank?

okay - PCV valve. Maybe starter. Are there recommendations on how to extend the breathers? Parts, routing, method, etc? I probably don’t need it but doesn’t hurt.

I wouldn't bother with the breathers to be honest unless you are doing deep water crossings. If you were there would be other things you would want to do as well. I just mentioned it because they are easily accessible once you have the intake off.

Got it. Thanks. I'm not planning on anything deeper than coming up to my step boards (ie - no risk of water getting in the cabin through the door seals). Of course, there may be unintended events :)

Hi - took awhile to get a pic. Part of it - wasn't sure how to take off the silver cover on top of the engine. First time for everything.

Wasn't sure how best to get a pic; here's a first attempt. Does this look like the valley leak?

If so, can I still drive around a bit? Keep the reservoir at the Full level with 50% DI water, 50% Toyota coolant?

Where is this pic taken from? Ive hunted up and down with a flashlight and can't seem to find this angle. TIA

Sorry for the delay. I couldn't see the leak or the (valley) area. I lifted up the silver cover over the engine. Then I held my phone down into the crevice (on the driver's side) and pointed it toward where I imagined the valley leak area would be. Did that repeatedly until I got the resulting picture above which I think shows a valley leak (at some point in time, maybe currently).

That photo is from the front, just right of center (driver's side). That hose you see goes down to the PCV valve.

The gray engine cover is very easy to remove, you can do it with one hand. No fasteners.

I have my intake off right now, repairing the knock sensor harness. It's not that hard to get off. If I had that coolant leak, I'd be on it right away to get it fixed.

I'm trying to baseline the leak. Actually, not sure if the leak is current of fixed by previous owner. Would there still be pink if already fixed?

I filled the reservoir to the F line. How fast will the reservoir level drop just to normal evaporation (50% water) and given the cap seems vented to air (not sealed). Should I expect the level to hold at the F line for several months; if it's dropping before that, I have a valley leak?

Also, I think I have the old model radiator but not sure if it's been replaced or not. Looks pretty clean. Is there a way to tell? Serial number somewhere? If old, should I replace the radiator with the new model if I need to fix a valley leak?

I imagine you have viewed this thread, correct?

Hi guys,

I topped off the coolant in the overflow reservoir a while back. Took a recent trip (2000 miles) and the coolant level dropped a bit. Still maybe half full (to the F line) but it's not longer at F. I noticed that there is some spray on top of the reservoir.

Is this normal? Or is this indicative that I have an active valley leak (and the pic above was leftover from the prior owner who fixed a leak)?

Either way, something I can live with unless it gets progressively worse (ie - empties the reservoir within 300 miles or something)?

Is the spray inside top or outside top of the reservoir? How's your radiator cap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom