Coolant Temperature Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zachmartin529

Landcrusher89
Threads
Website
www.zmartinphotography.wixsite.com
Hi Mud,
My FJ62 has about 240k on it and finally the water pump kicked it. I replaced it with a factory part and also had the radiator repaired, cleaned and pressure tested as the top tank began to leak. Threw a new thermostat and housing gaskets in it and flushed the system with one of those kits from the auto parts store where you but a hose bib in-line with the cooling system (had to cut a heater hose and now with I didn't but oh well). I burped the system but when I drive it, the temp will spike to hot and fall back down again intermittently, no matter if the heater is on or off. It won't do it when I'm cruising at a constant speed, but when there's partial throttle input or modulation in traffic it will jump up. Also when I've got my foot in it, the temp will jump up but not fall back down unless I snap the throttle shut. Do I still have air bubbles, bad thermostat, or is it something else entirely? Thanks!

Is your gas gauge spiking at the same time?

Did you replace your fan clutch?

My temp and fuel gauge spiked a couple years ago on a five hour roadtrip in the fall. Cool weather. Never saw it again until this weekend in traffic in 90+ degree weather around town. Anyone know the appropriate part number?

Nothing is available from Toyota. If you want a reliable gauge, install an aftermarket unit
My temp and fuel gauge spiked a couple years ago on a five hour roadtrip in the fall. Cool weather. Never saw it again until this weekend in traffic in 90+ degree weather around town. Anyone know the appropriate part number?

There's a pretty solid chance that the issue here is with my upper radiator tank separating from the core. I've had it repaired once and for whatever reason it has separated again. I really don't want to go aftermarket, but I can't stomach the cost of a new factory unit. Thinking I may just get it repaired again, cross my fingers and keep some JB Weld in the glove box lol

When a radiator can't keep its seams together, it's time to replace it. The inside is even more rotten than the outside.
Get a CSF2708. It's identical in appearance to the original though it won't last quite as long. Nobody makes radiators nowadays with the same quality as the original Toyota radiator - Even Toyota.

If you go the CSF route, It might be worth having the new radiator pressure tested before installing. I had an out-of-box leak on a new CSF that required warranty replacement. Wish I'd had it tested 1st.

When a radiator can't keep its seams together, it's time to replace it. The inside is even more rotten than the outside.
Get a CSF2708. It's identical in appearance to the original though it won't last quite as long. Nobody makes radiators nowadays with the same quality as the original Toyota radiator - Even Toyota.
Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip!
1624445212280.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom