Coolant temp sensor location for ECM not Gauge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a coolant temp sensor for my '94 due to a stumble the truck has while warming up. I didn't realize there were two, a one wire sender for the gauge, and a two-wire one that talks to the ECM. I have the two-wire sensor for the ECM, but don't know where that sensor is located. FSM isn't very specific, and I don't want to pull the wrong sensor.

I know the gauge sender is directly above and to the left of the oil filter, does someone have a picture of the location of the 2-wire one?

Thanks in advance,

-MK

p.s. I did a search and all the threads are for the gauge sender...

Last edited:
So to the right of the oil filter? One of those two sensors is a knock sensor correct?

Is it like the gauge sender in that you loose a bit of coolant, but don't have to completely drain?

Thanks

-MK

I'm doing the same sensor. Here's where it is for future reference.
Screen Shot 2012-03-01 at 4.37.27 PM.jpg

Did replacing the sensor resolve the stumble? I'm having the same stumble with a P0116 code for the coolant temp sensor but wasn't sure if it is related.

Yea if you have code for that I'd change it

I'm guessing this is for the 1fz and NOT the 3fe? Because both my temp sensors are right in or by the thermostat housing/neck...

Just picked it up from the dealer this morning. I'm really hoping its related and it fixes the stumble. From what I've read on the forum it can be a pain to track down.

I just changed mine out with the hopes of fixing the cold engine stumble. Unfortunately, it did not.

I have a 93, obd1 like a 94, and no check engine light. Been trying to chase the stumble for a year, and am about to give up and take it into the shop. I found an exposed wire in the engine harness near the EGR, but I've wrapped it up. It's still a possibility that this is what is causing the cold engine stumble.

I replaced it last night and it fixed it. I don't know why is would be related but it fixed it instantly. I had P0116 code and it's a 97. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I replaced it last night and it fixed it. I don't know why is would be related but it fixed it instantly. I had P0116 code and it's a 97. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Do you have the Part Number? I have same issue and code. Thanks!

EDIT: part number is 89422-35010, and also recommend new gasket 90430-12005

Last edited:
Yes unplug it then use deep socket on it, or wrench

Did you drain the coolant first or did you just swap out the coolant sensor with coolant still in it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom