Coolant temp gauge not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needle is stuck at the bottom of the gauge. What should I be checking? In what order so that I spend my time efficiently?

All the other gauges work? I’d check the ECT sensor first.

Temp S unit.jpg
temp sending unit.jpg

Or the connector/wire going to it.

Yes all the other gauges work.
Are the “ECT sensor” and the “coolant temp sending unit” the same thing? How would I check it/them?

Are the “ECT sensor” and the “coolant temp sending unit” the same thing? How would I check it/them?
The part is inexpensive, swap it out with a new one and more often than not, that fixes the issue.

Ok yeah $25 ain’t a big risk! Is there any danger in driving around with that temperature sender if it’s faulty?Or is it strictly for the gauge and inconsequential?

Ok yeah $25 ain’t a big risk! Is there any danger in driving around with that temperature sender if it’s faulty?Or is it strictly for the gauge and inconsequential?
I wouldn’t drive any of my vehicles w/o any of my essential gauges working most especially the coolant temp. If you have an OBD2 reader, plug it in and monitor your coolant temps that way whilst waiting for the part. $25 vs. warping the heads or your engine block because of overheating, I think you know the answer :) cheers mate

Not the same. They reside side by side however at the front of the engine (passenger side) at the juncture of the block and the intake.

ECT is green and has two wires, Sending Unit (controls dash gauge) is a single wire and gray in color.

Sensors.JPG

Temp sensor LX470.jpg

Ok. So if the SENDER is bad, not a big deal. If the SENSOR is bad, big deal.

But I’m guessing it’s the sender based on what’s being said here and because I figure a faulty sensor would still send signals to the gauge.

I’ll order the sender but is there a quick way to confirm it’s bad? Multimeter?

I have a follow up question regarding this.. I just purchased a 2005 LX 470 and shortly after picking it up the temp gauge was intermittently working, and has not worked for a couple days now. After reviewing the situation under the hood, I noticed that the cable that is supposed to connect to the temp sender is not connected. From the photos above, it seems like the wire that I'm looking for should be right next to the temp sensor wire, but I cannot find it for the life of me. I have a feeling i'll be told to look harder, but before I start taking more apart, I just want to make sure that the vehicle that I have is set up with the same configuration pictured above. Thank you for any advice!

My situation involves the temperature gauge, but also includes the drive indicator light in the dash cluster. Usually after extensive rain and/or colder temperatures, neither will work. Definitely seem to be connected as I’ve not seen one off without the other. They might come on again later in the day or stay off for a few days. This morning the AT Temp warning light also came on. It shut off when the gauge and light started working again. Appreciate any thoughts. I’m happy to swap out the sensor and sending units but wonder why those would also affect the drive light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom