Coolant temp gauge not working - SOLVED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will do!

Some day Joey, when you grow up and are big and strong!!

Title changed.

Bump, as I didn’t want to start another thread

97 1fz - Briefly drove on a rocky beach (bumpy/rattly) the other day, and afterward my temp gauge started to randomly drop down to the same spot, then bounce back to normal, repeat. Very intermittent and works fine 99% of the time, and the drop doesn’t correlate to any certain driving condition. Actual water temp sensor/ECU reading via my scanner stays totally normal, so is it safe to say it’s just electrical/the sender for the dummy gauge? Maybe just loose connection?

Cooling system is mostly all new and works great, so not worried there is any actual problem.

I know you can test it, so I can handle that. But, everything that comes up via google is the temp sensor, not sender. Anyone have a sender part number should it need replacing?

246933FC-7069-4786-BD46-4D7F1D71CC93.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideally you would just use a Scanguage or similar since you're OBDII and ignore the original sensor. "Fixing" it isn't super helpful since it isn't very reliable anyway.

Bump, as I didn’t want to start another thread

97 1fz - Briefly drove on a rocky beach (bumpy/rattly) the other day, and afterward my temp gauge started to randomly drop down to the same spot, then bounce back to normal, repeat. Very intermittent and works fine 99% of the time, and the drop doesn’t correlate to any certain driving condition. Actual water temp sensor/ECU reading via my scanner stays totally normal, so is it safe to say it’s just electrical/the sender for the dummy gauge? Maybe just loose connection?

Cooling system is mostly all new and works great, so not worried there is any actual problem.

I know you can test it, so I can handle that. But, everything that comes up via google is the temp sensor, not sender. Anyone have a sender part number should it need replacing?

View attachment 2846553
Did it end up being the sensor? my new-to-me 97's temp gauge is currently not working at all (starts cold and stays cold).

Didn’t follow up, as my scangauge showed up. I haven’t noticed it doing it anymore, so 🤷‍♂️

I’m guessing it’s the sender for the gauge, could just be a loose connection that jiggled itself back into order

Did it end up being the sensor? my new-to-me 97's temp gauge is currently not working at all (starts cold and stays cold).
Adding to this, I’d get a cheap wifi/bluetooth scanner for now, so you’ll at least know the engine temp as read by the sensor itself. As with mine, my engine temps are ideal, so I know it’s just the gauge and I can let it go.

My temp coolant gauge is showing high temperature on my 2000 LC Prado TX KZ-TE engine when the engine is still cold. I have changed thermostat and temp gauge but no luck so far. Please let me know how the sender looks like and possible the pictures and location.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom