Coolant Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed that my top coolant hose has alot of pressure build up in it and would like to know if it seems normal. The engine doesn't overheat or lose coolant, the gauge seems steady, the engine runs good without the radiator cap on without any coolant overflowing.

I ask this as I have only owned or worked on cars with a expansion bottle so have no experience with just a overflow tank. The pressure builds in the top hose pretty quickly, it doesn't expand much but you can't squeeze it by hand. Is this something I need to investigate further.

In the last year it has had Tee's, stat, water pump, hoses and radiator, the system is burped and the heaters are hot when required.

Did you clean the overflow tube and the cap on the reservoir tank?
What is the pressure marked on the radiator cap? OEM?
Did you clean the coolant system before installing the new radiator?

All is clean and no restrictions, the radiator and cap are OEM. My logic is to think this is normal as without a expansion bottle the expanding coolant has no where to go untill it reaches the pressure on the radiator cap. The cap doesn't open and relieve pressure so I assume it is within spec. Just curious if this is what happens to yours and others?

Coolant flows from theromastat out to the top hose, so it is heated in engine and flows into radiator where it gets cooled down and then gets pulled back into engine via water pump through bottom hose. So, yes that is normal. As a tip, it is good idea to replace top hose more frequently than bottom hose, for it gets most pressure and heat.

Thanks for the response. I am going to burp the system again tomorrow for piece of mind and then just leave it be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom