1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant power flush: Good Idea?? And what else should I do to the truck?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I have a 1995 Nissan 4x4 SE-V6 King Cab Pick Up 5spd, that was my HS grad present (10 yrs ago). Well, since I have always had other vehicles the Nissan sat for most of the past 10 yrs, so now it has 9,200 miles on it. The truck has never seen the rain, snow, salt, etc. The truck stays in my grandmothers garage, about 30 miles from my house. So needless to say I don't use it often or start it often, and for the past few years it has not been registered or insured. The truck is all orig, except for the oil which I change once a year, w/ Mobil 1.

I want to start using the truck more now, so what do you think I should do to it? I spoke with a good local shop, and he just recc. to do flush the coolant (something about 10 yr old coolant being coorosive - sp), and flush the brake fluid, and clutch hyd fluid). He claims that he uses a power flush system for the coolant flush ( he said it cycles the old coolant out, and puts fresh coolant in) is that a good idea? Has anyone ever heard of this type of system before? He wants $80.00 to flush it, and want $40.00 for the brakes, and $40.00 for the clutch hyd fluid, are these good prices? Can anyone think of anything else I should do?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    And one more thing, what about the oil in the trans and the rear end? Do you think they have to be changed as well?

Zack

3. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

why dont' you just do it all yourself?

also, i would flush the coolant system with a garden hose, like we do for the cruisers --

-- open the block and rad drains, run a hose for 10 minutes through the motor (running) and at the end, pour a gall or two of distilled water down --

-- then shut engine off, close up the stop-cocks, and fill'er up with premium cooland and distilled water --

e