1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant overflowing from resevoir

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Moby, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Moby

Moby

I drove my FJ-62 from Seattle to Sacramento yesterday (avg mpg - 16.4!). On two stops for gas the coolant resevoir overflowed about 1/2 to 1 cup of coolant. It did this only after the engine was stopped for a few minutes (ie in both instances it wasn't overflowing when we pulled in, just after we were stopped). It was very hot during both of these stops, mid to upper 90's, the A/C had been running on full and the coolant temp was over 200 when the engine was stopped in both cases. In both cases when I restarted the truck the coolant temp was over 220 coming out of the block (I've got a good aftermarket temp gauge pumbed into the side of the t-stat housing).

My first thought was, great, I've blown a head gasket, again. Coolant overflow from the resevoir was the symptom in my last head gasket problem but that was 20,000+ miles ago.

However when we got to Sacramento, which was evening and much cooler than the two gas stops the coolant did not overflow. Engine temp was ~188 (I run a 180 degree t-stat) and the resevoir was full but not to the top as with the two previous stops when it puked. I checked the coolant level this morning expecting to find either the resevoir or the radiator low. To my surprise the resevoir was just below the half way point and the radiator was full.

I'm still thinking that I've blown a head gasket but can anyone think of any other possibilities for symptoms like these? Is it possible that the coolant just got extra hot after the engine was shut off, expanded beyond norm and pushed the small amount out?

TIA!

2. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Seems like if you'd blown the HG you'd have some other symptoms - white exhaust, coolant in the oil, etc.

Maybe the total volume of coolant was just too high, and the system purged itself of the excess?

I'd really like to hear some other view on this though, to better undestand what's up...

3. Moby

Moby

That's really the only other thing that I can think of but I don't remember the resevoir being overly full. I think I'm going to drive it around today, get it hot, and see if I can get it to overflow again.

4. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah..sounds like you overfilled the overflow bottle. I thought when the cruiser is cold and has been sitting for awhile you should not be over the fill line on the reservoir. So the top half has volume so when the coolant heats up it can expand in the overflow bottle.

5. Dynosoar

Dynosoar Slightly Disturbed SILVER Star

You have a failing radiator cap. Pressure test it and see if it passes. I bet it won't. Buy a replacement and drive happy.

Dynosoar

6. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

This sounds right. There are some posts on either the 60 or 80 forum about replacing rad caps as being good PM. My local rad shop recommends replacing the cap when replacing the coolant.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">