Coolant overflow filling up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for opinions, been noticing my coolant overflow tank has been filling up whenever I drive the truck for a while and the temps are sitting between 187-196... I then generally proceed to just leave it until the next morning and refill the radiator as it’s draining itself into the coolant overflow... truck will climb to 200+ if I leave it idling after overflow has filled

Recently did a flush with Preston rad flush and distilled water and then refilled with Toyota red, changed the sticking thermostat aswell, thermostat has a small leak, more of a slow seep, at the moment from it, I believe I pinched the o-ring on install...

Wondering if this could be a dreaded head gasket? As I’m just not sure what is pushing this coolant out of the system into the overflow. I doesnt seem to be getting sucked back in at all and I haven’t messed with the T fitting at all so the flow direction is fine.

Truck is around 240,000 and is SC. Rad was done is 2016 along with the water pump, new thermostat and hoses done about 2 weeks ago.

Opinions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Looking for opinions, been noticing my coolant overflow tank has been filling up whenever I drive the truck for a while and the temps are sitting between 187-196... I then generally proceed to just leave it until the next morning and refill the radiator as it’s draining itself into the coolant overflow... truck will climb to 200+ if I leave it idling after overflow has filled

Recently did a flush with Preston rad flush and distilled water and then refilled with Toyota red, changed the sticking thermostat aswell, thermostat has a small leak, more of a slow seep, at the moment from it, I believe I pinched the o-ring on install...

Wondering if this could be a dreaded head gasket? As I’m just not sure what is pushing this coolant out of the system into the overflow. I doesnt seem to be getting sucked back in at all and I haven’t messed with the T fitting at all so the flow direction is fine.

Truck is around 240,000 and is SC. Rad was done is 2016 along with the water pump, new thermostat and hoses done about 2 weeks ago.

Opinions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Not sucking back in is a bad radiator cap or a hose with a hole in it.

Check cap for proper fit.

Also check to make sure the overflow tank cap is oriented properly. Seems a lot of them get turned around and then don't work.

Not sucking back in is a bad radiator cap or a hose with a hole in it.

Check cap for proper fit.

Also check to make sure the overflow tank cap is oriented properly. Seems a lot of them get turned around and then don't work.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll give the tank cap a check in the morning, from what I recall it is all good. I replaced the rad cap yesterday though, didn’t seem to change anything.. all the hoses are good, only leak is a the slow seep at the thermostat

When the engine is cold, you can take off the rad cap and look for bubbles. A ton of air coming out would suggest a blown head gasket. Can also rent a block tester kit from Autozone to check for combustion gases in the coolant: https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...ls-engine-combustion-leak-detector/391378_0_0.

Thanks! No auto zones up in this neck of the woods but I’m sure some auto parts places will rent or have these units to purchase. Will do the bubble test in the morning as I’m currently in the middle of know and somehow have one bar of cell coverage. Out camping :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom