Coolant level goes down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been having some coolant loss ever since i got my 2001 land cruiser. I brought it to an auto shop for a pressure test and discovered a leak in the lower section of the radiator. Fast forward to yesterday and I got a denso radiator installed. Before leaving the auto shop the coolant level was above the full line while the engine was hot. Last night before i slept it went down to the FULL line. This morning after not driving the truck for at least 8 hrs it went and inch below the full line. Drove it for 15miles at least and it went back to full but never went over to where it was yesterday before i left my mechanic. Is it normal for the coolant level to go down? If so, then how much every month or year should coolant go down and how often should you top the reservoir off.

Also, been reading how to burp it and people have their own way doing it. Should i top it off while the engine is cold or hot? Take note this is within a 24 hr period.

Heater t was replace 3 weeks ago and theres no leak.

Pics posted in order
1. Location of the leak on the old radiator after pressure test

2. Coolant level this morning (overnight)

3. Coolant level after driving for 15 miles with ac on.

20200229_095909.jpg

20200301_143951.jpg

20200301_163505.jpg

Looks fine to me. The level in the reservoir will fluctuate regularly, depending on temperature. I’d run it for a few days or full week and then check again after a full cool down (overnight).

Looks fine to me. The level in the reservoir will fluctuate regularly, depending on temperature. I’d run it for a few days or full week and then check again after a full cool down (overnight).

Thanks. The second pic is the coolant level after a overnight full cool down. Third pic is when it went up since i drove it for 15 miles. But like I said yesterday coolant level was about an inch above the full line. Mechanic topped it off i think while the engine was hot.

You are good to go.

Thanks. The second pic is the coolant level after a overnight full cool down. Third pic is when it went up since i drove it for 15 miles. But like I said yesterday coolant level was about an inch above the full line. Mechanic topped it off i think while the engine was hot.
The cool down photo is right where it should be.

The cool down photo is right where it should be.

Ok. If tomorrow morning it goes further down from the 2nd pic, is it still fine for as long as it doesnt go empty or it can be a sign of leak already? Also, can i top the reservoir off tom morning up to the full line again or its uselss to do that?

Depending on how cold your ambient air temps (or outdoor air temp) get, the coolant level can drop lower. Mine fluctuates noticeably between seasons. In the winter months, after the truck has sat over night, the coolant level is just above the low line on the reservoir. In the summer months, after the truck has sat over night, the coolant level is about half way between low and full lines on the reservoir.

Depending on how cold your ambient air temps (or outdoor air temp) get, the coolant level can drop lower. Mine fluctuates noticeably between seasons. In the winter months, after the truck has sat over night, the coolant level is just above the low line on the reservoir. In the summer months, after the truck has sat over night, the coolant level is about half way between low and full lines on the reservoir.
☝🏾This

Thank you so much for all the inputs. I thought its already an issue if the coolant goes down overnight. I was really worried about what was happening because i could not find any leaks on the floor

Best way to burp the coolant system, is after 8 hours or more cool down. Best is to have vehicle parked with front higher than rear. This put radiator cap at high point, so air easily collect there. Top radiator with Toyota coolant, all the way up to neck under the of radiator cap, so much, it almost overflows. Then fill reservoir to low line if OAT (outside air temp) at a low for your area, say like -10F in Denver. Or to reservoir full line, if OAT at 110F area yearly high. In between Low & Full, if OAT at say 60 F area mid range. Keep checking ever morning after a cool down, until radiator will not take any more coolant. Than just watch reservoir and every now and than check radiator level. You should never really loose any coolant, between flushes..

Also make sure the hose in the reservoir goes straight down to the bottom. They sometime get hung up of the shelve at side.

Best practice:
Flush coolant and replace upper & lower radiator hoses using OEM clamps, radiator cap and thermostat (OEM parts) at same time radiator replaced.
Use Toyota LL (Red) coolant in the 2001. Red comes in ether 100% which you mix with distilled water 50/50. Or premix 50/50.
Never add tap water to the system.
Flush system earlier of every two years or 30K miles

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the inputs. I thought its already an issue if the coolant goes down overnight. I was really worried about what was happening because i could not find any leaks on the floor

As your coolant temperature rises (water expands 4% before reaching its boiling point) it is normal for some amount to be deposited in the overflow/expansion tank (properly working thermostat and radiator cap). When the engine cools...so does the coolant .....creating a vacuum from the engine side, so some amount of coolant will be drawn out of the expansion tank and back into the radiator/engine. This is all quite normal.

Heres an update. So just checked the coolant level again this morning 600am before going to work. Also, i noticed some water dropping from the exhaust but not too bad.

Also, i checked the engine oil dip stick as i read that its also possible that coolant mixes with the engine oil because of leak but it looks fine.

Take note as well that heater is working and the temperature always stays at the middle when the engine is hot.

20200302_055849.jpg

Water from exhaust upon start up is normal also. It should not continue indefinitely...but no cause for concern otherwise

Best way to burp the coolant system, is after 8 hours or more cool down. Best is to have vehicle parked with front higher than rear. This put radiator cap at high point, so air easily collect there. Top radiator with Toyota coolant, all the way up to neck under the of radiator cap, so much, it almost overflows. Then fill reservoir to low line if OAT (outside air temp) at a low for your area, say like -10F in Denver. Or to reservoir full line, if OAT at 110F area yearly high. In between Low & Full, if OAT at say 60 F area mid range. Keep checking ever morning after a cool down, until radiator will not take any more coolant. Than just watch reservoir and every now and than check radiator level. You should never really loose any coolant, between flushes..

Also make sure the hose in the reservoir goes straight down to the bottom. They sometime get hung up of the shelve at side.

Best practice:
Flush coolant and replace upper & lower radiator hoses using OEM clamps, radiator cap and thermostat (OEM parts) at same time radiator replaced.
Use Toyota LL (Red) coolant in the 2001. Red comes in ether 100% which you mix with distilled water 50/50. Or premix 50/50.
Never add tap water to the system.
Flush system earlier of every two years or 30K miles

Thanks for the detailed how to. The mechanic used pink coolant for my truck. Green was what was used before on the old raridator. Whats weird is ut shows pink in the reservoir but I saw Red when he was pouring it from his bottle. Does Autozone carry pink coolant?

I use just Toyota LL "red" in 98-02. IIRC they went to pink in 03-.

Pink (Toyota SSL) can be used and mixed with red according to Toyota sales material. But if used, you must still use the shorter flush PM schedule of Red.

Parts store do have Asian coolant, some use. It's very similar to Toyota.

I use just Toyota LL "red" in 98-02. IIRC they went to pink in 03-.

Pink (Toyota SSL) can be used and mixed with red according to Toyota sales material. But if used, you must still use the shorter flush PM schedule of Red.

Parts store do have Asian coolant, some use. It's very similar to Toyota.

Alright ill see if autozone carry pink ones for asian cars will do what you say. Im just relieved everything seems normal. For now. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom