Coolant level and smell. Help in Breckenridge. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice. Up above Breckenridge, CO and keep smelling antifreeze when I get out. Goes away quickly. Can’t see any leaks. Timing belt done less than 2k miles ago. Heater t’s done also. No overheating. No other issues. Been checking the coolant level in the bottle. It was right between low/full right before we drove out here (12 hrs). Close to that when we got here. Now it’s down near low. The temperature dropped a bit today. I’m here with the family and got my hands full with pregnant wife and three daughters (5 and under). Not sure what to do as I near the trip home. Any good cruiser mechanics near me or advice?
Thanks all!!

What year? Mileage? My 2000 did that when I was in Death Valley a few years ago (that sucked) but I couldn't find anything leaking, ever. I drove back to Texas (between Houston and San Antonio), adding antifreeze to the bottle when it seemed to need it and I had no issues. I eventually got the coolant quality up enough that it wouldn't evaporate when it leaked and I found out the tanks on the radiator were leaking. I replaced the radiator and that ended that. I'm not saying your radiator is bad but I am saying that depending on the quality of coolant in the system it may be evaporating at the leak point. The previous owner of mine apparently had added so much water that my coolant was diluted and any leak would not show (because it was steam)

Sorry. 2005 LC with 158k. If I’m gonna add coolant, it’s gotta be “Toyota red” otherwise just water I guess would get me home?

The clubhouse section at the top can point you to nearby clubs/cruiserheads, maybe there's a local that can help.

Maybe consider buying a gallon of the Toyota red/pink as you pass a dealer (Denver?) just to have on hand. And basic distilled water like @Ayune mentioned. Both of those things are cheap enough to just keep in the car for the trip back.

Look at the top of the radiator. Is it browning? At this age it's certainly possible. It's also possible to leak right at the water pump (this would be hard to see), and possible at the coolant crossover in the back of the engine, under the intake (nearly impossible to see, but this spot less likely to leak significantly).

Not seeing any pink crustiness would lead me to believe it's less likely to be the water pump or the crossover. But maybe stop in at a hardware store for one of those cheap extendable mirrors if you want to be more sure.

Edit: English

I’ll check those areas. I will say that with the hood up, the smell is strongest right over the top of the radiator.
The water pump was originally replaced by previous owner at like 97k. At 157k, when I bought it, I smelled antifreeze. Dealer told me water pump was leaking. Replaced with oem and timing belt (and threw up in my mouth a little when paying for it). Smell came back but fainter, and was told it was residual from the replacement. I’ve monitored the level in the bottle and it’s stayed consistent until now and smell got stronger. I’m wondering if long trip and altitude eased it along....

Toyota Red is obviously the shizzle, but Zerex Asian red is what many use since it’s cheaper, more widely available, and pretty much the ‘same.’
FB5C2EAF-2C29-4059-8DC7-2F8BF92C7306.jpeg

Doh, you missed me, i was in Breckenridge a couple days ago, i could've looked over your truck for you. At this point if you're not seeing any leaks, it might be in the timing belt area that was done. If it's only draining slowly, you can get by with just adding coolant at fill ups if need be. Could also be a weak radiator cap blowing out coolant too early, and the altitude at Breckenridge didn't help that. I couldn't breathe in that town, and i got huge headache. 9600' elevation or something.

Takes some getting used to even when you live at a point halfway up to 10.

Is your radiator cap leaking? You probably would have seen red crust around it, but maybe it is leaking slightly?

Doh, you missed me, i was in Breckenridge a couple days ago, i could've looked over your truck for you. At this point if you're not seeing any leaks, it might be in the timing belt area that was done. If it's only draining slowly, you can get by with just adding coolant at fill ups if need be. Could also be a weak radiator cap blowing out coolant too early, and the altitude at Breckenridge didn't help that. I couldn't breathe in that town, and i got huge headache. 9600' elevation or something.
Oh man. It’s been quite a week for us. On the way out here from AR, somewhere in Kansas, a stomach bug started working it’s way through the family beginning with our 4 year old throwing up in the cruiser probably 10 times. (Just installed weather techs thank goodness). Got here and had to clean everything including kids car seats. Then the rest of us went down one by one, finally with my 33 week pregnant wife. Between that and the altitude, she ended up in the hospital with contractions that eventually stopped, thank goodness. Finally got out and about today for a bit, though still not 100%. Finally acclimated, but all this craziness has just compounded it. Hoping to enjoy the town a bit before we have to head home

When it's cold, and you park overnight, the coolant will be drawn back into the system, quite a bit. Right now i'd just top it off with distilled water to the full mark, then at the next fill up while it's still hot check the level in the reservoir again and see.

Fill with water. Replace the radiator cap if one's available up there - very cheap insurance in case it's simply busted and seeping.

Breckenridge is too refined to have any auto parts but there's a good NAPA store in Frisco, about 10 miles north, right across the street from the Walmart. You should visit Frisco anyway.

As a half time resident of Frisco - agree :D

Toyota Red is obviously the shizzle, but Zerex Asian red is what many use since it’s cheaper, more widely available, and pretty much the ‘same.’

Another vote for Zerex Asian. I just flushed my LC with this, good stuff imo.

Has the heater T been replaced? If leaking, it maybe difficult to see.

Understand you are far from home, but if all possible, use distilled water instead of tap water. Most grocery store should have it. Keep a couple gallon in the truck, and can be used as drinking water if needed. Also, another vote for replacing the radiator cap, even if using non-Toyota cap.

Good luck!

Thanks all. I will grab some distilled water and a cap. I’ve been in frisco fishing and playing at the adventure park with the kiddos. Great area!

If the cap were seeping, wouldn’t I see it? Or could it just lose pressure and sort of belch?

DO NOT handle, tinker with, twist or mess with the T's. Just eyeball them, use flashlight / nose. DO NOT Touch them until you are home / ready to change them out. Odds are they are brittle and will make your life much worse if you screw around with them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom