Coolant Leak - Winnipeg LC needs help

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by aey_bee_see, Jun 27, 2005.

1. aey_bee_see

aey_bee_see

Hi, all. Am a newb, a proud owner of a 94 LC: stock, no difflock (no rock-climbing in Winnipeg), 134K on the odometer. Need help with a possible coolant leak problem.

Recently, I noticed a leak on the passenger side of the truck. Liquid is yellow, consistent with the coolant that I use. It leaks from the area where the cat converter is. Haven't really yet pinpointed where the leak is.

Also, I notice a hissing sound when the truck is running. You won't hear any hiss when at idle. Could the hiss be made when pressure(?) escapes from the leak on the hose?

Thanks for any help and info you can extend.

Regards,
    Arnie

2. whodat

whodat

Media:
    Albums:
    do a search for PHH. or check the FAQ section.

3. Bear80

Bear80

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you 100% that the fluid is coolant? My guess is that it's the a/c drain because of your discription of the location. However there are heater lines that run along the transmission hump for the rear heater in the center consol. The PHH (pesky heater hose, under the intake manifold) that whodat is talking about is on the drivers side. The only other lines on the passengers side run above the exhaust manifold and so you should be able to see a leak from the engine bay.

You need to define hiss better, is it more of a wistle maybe? If so it would be the exhaust which is normal. Otherwise you never can hear collant blowing out from inside the cab.

4. cruiserman

cruiserman

There are heater hoses at the firewall and down below for the rear heater. Crawl under there and see if they are leaking.

Maybe the hiss is coolant burning off the cat :).

5. aey_bee_see

aey_bee_see

Bear,

It could be the A/C, I don't really know. To think about it, we used the AC just lately but not very often.

I don't believe the hiss is normal from the exhaust because I just noticed this lately also. I can't describe the sound as something grinding but could be coolant burning off the cat as cruiserman said. But won't the sound persist even at idle or does coolant flow through the hoses only when you're running hence the sound is audible only then?

Fyi, I've been lurking for quite a while picked few tips here and there. I thought that I'd resist bringing the truck to a Toyota shop and work on this myself. Many newbies were successful even on more complicated tasks.

Thanks for the help. Will check out areas mentioned.

6. Bear80

Bear80

Media:
    Albums:
    If the hiss can only be heard while driving and not at idle, put it in park, have someone idle it up and stand outside and see if you can locate the sound better.

7. aey_bee_see

aey_bee_see

Bear,

Did as you suggested and no sound at higher rev. When running, the sound would be audible when sound bounces off other objects like when you pass a vehicle or drive along a bridge wall.

I will do maintenance work on the undercarriage so hopefully, I would be able to fix the source of the sound. Truck runs good, though. No abnormalities whatsoever. Even with the leak, engine temp is normal although I would be wary since its not normal.

8. stayalert

stayalert

Second that notion that the leak could be from the plumbing to the rear heater. I had corrosion cause a lek in the steel tubing in that location. Cut out an offending piece and spliced in soem hose. Been working great.

9. aey_bee_see

aey_bee_see

Thanks, stay. Can you please advise what it was you did and what material(s) you used? In case it's the offending 'party.'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.