Coolant leak under throttle body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a leaking radiator and perhaps thermostat (on the word of my mechanic, but I haven't found where exactly), but I noticed I've got some leakage below the throttle body. Any ideas where it is actually coming from? Thanks!

Photo is oriented from the fan shroud, looking under the throttle body.

PXL_20220312_212945409.jpg

The hose shown is the inlet of warm coolant from the cross over pipe into the throttle body. There is a threaded plug attahced to that coolant hose which is screwed into the throttle body. Unless the weather gets super cold, I think you can by-pass the throttle body coolant lines. The coolant outlet is located at the top of the TB and it returns to oil coolar line in front of the driver side timing belt cover.

The hose shown is the inlet of warm coolant from the cross over pipe into the throttle body. There is a threaded plug attahced to that coolant hose which is screwed into the throttle body. Unless the weather gets super cold, I think you can by-pass the throttle body coolant lines. The coolant outlet is located at the top of the TB and it returns to oil coolar line in front of the driver side timing belt cover.

Alas I live in cold weather...

But that's good to know. I've been looking around to see if that threaded plug is sold separately anywhere and coming up empty. Might have to just take it off and see if I can clean it up...

Alas I live in cold weather...

But that's good to know. I've been looking around to see if that threaded plug is sold separately anywhere and coming up empty. Might have to just take it off and see if I can clean it up...

MAke sure to soak it in WD 40 and spin it carefully. Don't use extensions and go off-axis of rotation (like how spark plug housing snaps). I recently replaced the entire throttle body with a brand new OEM TB. How many miles do you have on the truck? If it is closer to 240K miles, I think it is good to get a new throttle body as the APPS and TPS sensors can fail without prior warning. When APPS fails you have limp home mode. Mine is 2000.

MAke sure to soak it in WD 40 and spin it carefully. Don't use extensions and go off-axis of rotation (like how spark plug housing snaps). I recently replaced the entire throttle body with a brand new OEM TB. How many miles do you have on the truck? If it is closer to 240K miles, I think it is good to get a new throttle body as the APPS and TPS sensors can fail without prior warning. When APPS fails you have limp home mode. Mine is 2000.
About 170k. Might end up with a new throttle body regardless, but I'll try this first.

What do you mean "do not use extensions"? For the socket? Putting on or taking off?

About 170k. Might end up with a new throttle body regardless, but I'll try this first.

What do you mean "do not use extensions"? For the socket? Putting on or taking off?
Just remove it with care. slight wiggle might break the threaded portion inside the throttle body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom