1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant leak Question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by redleg76, Feb 25, 2007.

1. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    Need some help here. Have had 91 LC for week and a half. Had a complete tune up and timing advance done Friday. I drove home from the shop (mile or so) and got in wifes car for weekend trip. Just got home and I have coolant dripping under LC? Looks like very little has leaked out, but I'm not sure. I am going out right now to inspect the vehicle. If you guys have any help I would apreciate it. BTW, I am less than :banana: mechanic.

Thanks,

Mark

2. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    Ok, leak is above lower pulley and below fan pulley. I can't find the leak but it drips at a pace of a drip every 2-3 seconds.

HELP

3. CJF

CJF

Doesn't matter.

You just need to do a very methodical, common sense inspection until you're convinced that you know exactly where the leak is.

Keep us posted,

Curtis

Edit: I'm too slow. :)

See if it's dripping from the bottom of the water pump. (The water pump is directly behind the fan, and driven by the same pulley.)

4. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    I think I've found it

The fluid is dripping from the pully connected to water pump. It is leaking a drip per 10 seconds. Radiator and res are full. Could this be excess leaving thru weep hole??

Mark

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    "Excess" does not leave through the weep hole, coolant leaves through it when the seal is failing. It sounds like your water pump is leaking and is in need of replacement.

6. Scamper

Scamper

If you can't describe where the leak is (due to not knowing what the parts are) a picture would help a lot. I assume you've looked at the hoses that connect the radiator to the engine and have concluded that the leak is not coming from these connections?

7. Scamper

Scamper

Great timing Dan.

If in fact the leak is coming from the water pump weep hole, have the pump replaced immediately. Otherwise youl'll join me in the "crap I blew a HG" club. :doh:

8. CJF

CJF

Or the "crap my water pump shaft just shot through my radiator" club, or...:lol:

Redleg, definitely replace it asap.

Curtis
    91 FJ80, 235K

9. Scamper

Scamper

Maybe we should get Woody to start a "Commiseration" forum? :D

10. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    any guess as to why this problem sprung up AFTER trip to shop??
    It has gone one mile or less since I picled it up.

11. Scamper

Scamper

Chances are it was there before you bought it, and the PO just didn't bother to point the problem out to you:rolleyes:

12. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    I think the problem is new. I have had it for week and half, driven 50 miles or so. This happened within 1 mile of pick up from repair shop.. All that was done was new plugs, wires, injector cleaning, tranny fluid/filter change, fr/rr diff fluids. And timing advanced ~2 degrees.
    I am just wondering if trip to shop and leak are connected.?

Thanks,

Mark

13. cam75w/ls1

cam75w/ls1

Did the weather change?Everytime I get major temp change the cars start flooding in the shop. Cooling systems and batteries are #1 failure.

14. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    Temps are in 50's - 60's from 20's- 30's a week ago. This may be a common thread. I can't get over leaving Friday and everything was fine to coming home Sun pm and finding a sizeable leak that looks to be < 6 hours old....

Thanks,

Mark

15. CJF

CJF

Injector cleaning???

That stands out to me; how exactly did they accomplish that? That usually entails removing quite a lot of parts, and then sending the injectors off somewhere to be cleaned and balanced.

But really, I doubt they're connected. You just bought a 16 year old vehicle. Granted, it's one of the BEST 16 year old vehicles out there, but nevertheless, LOTS of things may/will need to be replaced over the next few years: Radiator, alternator, power steering pump, EGR valve, and yes, water pump. Basically all of the "externals".

But, notice I did NOT say you'll need to get a new tranny, rebuild the engine, etc. as with many (most?) other vehicles of that vintage. That's why we drive these.

BTW: You haven't mentioned your mileage?? Original water pump will last somewhere between 100-200k.

Hang in there,

Curtis

16. MARLIN375

MARLIN375

I would not get too worked up over it..........I think you are fortunate, the pump gave you exactly the warning it is designed to.

On the bright side take this opertunity to do your cooling system baselining, new pump, hoses, flush, thermostat etc.

It could have been MUCH worse.

17. redleg76

redleg76

Albums:
    Thanks for the help/suggestions

I guess I got hung up over the timing of the problem more than anything. I sure ain't *****ing about these problems from a175,000 mile vehicle. I think I will update the hoses, t-stat, etc while in this mess.

Mark