Coolant leak Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help here. Have had 91 LC for week and a half. Had a complete tune up and timing advance done Friday. I drove home from the shop (mile or so) and got in wifes car for weekend trip. Just got home and I have coolant dripping under LC? Looks like very little has leaked out, but I'm not sure. I am going out right now to inspect the vehicle. If you guys have any help I would apreciate it. BTW, I am less than :banana: mechanic.

Thanks,

Mark

Ok, leak is above lower pulley and below fan pulley. I can't find the leak but it drips at a pace of a drip every 2-3 seconds.

HELP

I am less than :banana: mechanic.

Doesn't matter.

You just need to do a very methodical, common sense inspection until you're convinced that you know exactly where the leak is.

Keep us posted,

Curtis

Edit: I'm too slow. :)

See if it's dripping from the bottom of the water pump. (The water pump is directly behind the fan, and driven by the same pulley.)

I think I've found it

The fluid is dripping from the pully connected to water pump. It is leaking a drip per 10 seconds. Radiator and res are full. Could this be excess leaving thru weep hole??

Mark

"Excess" does not leave through the weep hole, coolant leaves through it when the seal is failing. It sounds like your water pump is leaking and is in need of replacement.

If you can't describe where the leak is (due to not knowing what the parts are) a picture would help a lot. I assume you've looked at the hoses that connect the radiator to the engine and have concluded that the leak is not coming from these connections?

"Excess" does not leave through the weep hole, coolant leaves through it when the seal is failing. It sounds like your water pump is leaking and is in need of replacement.
Great timing Dan.

If in fact the leak is coming from the water pump weep hole, have the pump replaced immediately. Otherwise youl'll join me in the "crap I blew a HG" club. :doh:

Great timing Dan.

If in fact the leak is coming from the water pump weep hole, have the pump replaced immediately. Otherwise youl'll join me in the "crap I blew a HG" club. :doh:

Or the "crap my water pump shaft just shot through my radiator" club, or...:lol:

Redleg, definitely replace it asap.

Curtis
91 FJ80, 235K

Or the "crap my water pump shaft just shot through my radiator" club, or...:lol:

Redleg, definitely replace it asap.

Curtis
91 FJ80, 235K

Maybe we should get Woody to start a "Commiseration" forum? :D

any guess as to why this problem sprung up AFTER trip to shop??
It has gone one mile or less since I picled it up.

Chances are it was there before you bought it, and the PO just didn't bother to point the problem out to you:rolleyes:

I think the problem is new. I have had it for week and half, driven 50 miles or so. This happened within 1 mile of pick up from repair shop.. All that was done was new plugs, wires, injector cleaning, tranny fluid/filter change, fr/rr diff fluids. And timing advanced ~2 degrees.
I am just wondering if trip to shop and leak are connected.?

Thanks,

Mark

Did the weather change?Everytime I get major temp change the cars start flooding in the shop. Cooling systems and batteries are #1 failure.

Temps are in 50's - 60's from 20's- 30's a week ago. This may be a common thread. I can't get over leaving Friday and everything was fine to coming home Sun pm and finding a sizeable leak that looks to be < 6 hours old....

Thanks,

Mark

I think the problem is new. I have had it for week and half, driven 50 miles or so. This happened within 1 mile of pick up from repair shop.. All that was done was new plugs, wires, injector cleaning, tranny fluid/filter change, fr/rr diff fluids. And timing advanced ~2 degrees.
I am just wondering if trip to shop and leak are connected.?

Thanks,

Mark

Injector cleaning???

That stands out to me; how exactly did they accomplish that? That usually entails removing quite a lot of parts, and then sending the injectors off somewhere to be cleaned and balanced.

But really, I doubt they're connected. You just bought a 16 year old vehicle. Granted, it's one of the BEST 16 year old vehicles out there, but nevertheless, LOTS of things may/will need to be replaced over the next few years: Radiator, alternator, power steering pump, EGR valve, and yes, water pump. Basically all of the "externals".

But, notice I did NOT say you'll need to get a new tranny, rebuild the engine, etc. as with many (most?) other vehicles of that vintage. That's why we drive these.

BTW: You haven't mentioned your mileage?? Original water pump will last somewhere between 100-200k.

Hang in there,

Curtis

I would not get too worked up over it..........I think you are fortunate, the pump gave you exactly the warning it is designed to.

On the bright side take this opertunity to do your cooling system baselining, new pump, hoses, flush, thermostat etc.

It could have been MUCH worse.

Thanks for the help/suggestions

I guess I got hung up over the timing of the problem more than anything. I sure ain't *****ing about these problems from a175,000 mile vehicle. I think I will update the hoses, t-stat, etc while in this mess.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom