Coolant leak help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys. Have developed a coolant leak on the driver side. Seems to be coming from under the intake maybe. I can seem to find. I have look and looked and don’t see where the leak is. Any ideas?

4A7A877D-F617-4104-A6C0-DE7621B2DE4C.jpeg

Looks like it could be the PHH. See if you can get a good look at it to verify.

Maybe you can figure out how this is oriented on your truck and find a way to get access to it. I recall the hose is heading into the general direction of driver's side by the firewall. I haven't pulled my old hose off yet.

IMG_9421.jpg

I think I found it. It looks like the small hose that goes into the block. That doesn’t look fun at all I’ll post back with an update. I need to order some parts

By small hose, do you mean short (like 2” long) rather than skinny? If it is in fact the PHH (short) - It’s not as bad as it’s made out to be, but probably not fun if you have tree trunk arms. With the wheel off and flaps out of the way, you’ll have to pick your poison of extensions, long pliers, etc. I did it just by reaching with normal tools. Small tips for removal & installation are helpful - cutting the hose first & slicing it off the block nipple, breaking the hidden bracket on the hard line, some people get rid of the hard line altogether in favor of a long hose, etc

I’d rather do the PHH than the water bypass in front of it (skinny hose that goes up under the intake out of sight)

Last edited:
If you have a Dremel that really helps. I was able to get mine in far enough so that I could cut the clamps and the hose. It also helps if you have the type of pliers that are used to remove hoses.

I think I found it. It looks like the small hose that goes into the block. That doesn’t look fun at all I’ll post back with an update. I need to order some parts

Big hose toward back of block is PHH. Smaller hose in block in front of it is to the throttle body. If the end is just cracked on the throttle body hose, pull it off the block, cut an inch off and push it back on with a new clamp.

Big hose toward back of block is PHH. Smaller hose in block in front of it is to the throttle body. If the end is just cracked on the throttle body hose, pull it off the block, cut an inch off and push it back on with a new clamp.
This is what happened to mine. Ordered a new one but haven’t bothered to replace it after giving the existing one a fresh end.

Just for future reference. There are two hoses under the intake that attach to the 'Head' not the Block.

The PHH (Pesky Heater Hose) is the larger nipple on the right and it goes to your heater valve.

The Throttle Body Coolant hose (smaller nipple on left) is a long, small diameter hose that goes from the head, snakes up under and through the intake and attaches to the throttle body to provide cooling.

NEITHER are much fun to reach or address, but IF you have a leak from under the manifold, is it likely due to one (or both) of these hoses or their connections.

Head.jpg

Yes, sorry, head not block. Duh on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom