Coolant Flush with New Radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to replace my radiator (thanks CDAN) and I assumed that I need to flush out the old coolant. I am also going to replace the thermostat, radiator hoses, and PHH at the same time.

What is the best way to go about this?

I was originally going to take out the radiator and then use a hose to flush the engine out. But I have seen some posts that say the flush itself needs to be with distilled water, and that the truck needs to run during the flush.

I thought I saw a detailed write up on doing a coolant flush, but I just did a search and did not find what I thought I remembered.

Anybody got any tips?

Thanks

Jared

Jared,
Do a search with keyword "brass" and author=Beowulf, advanced search, 360 days. I think flushing with tap water is OK; just be sure to use distilled water for the finanl fill.
-B-

I have flushed my Cruisers like this.

open the drain on the block, open the rad cap, open drain cock on rad, start up the Cruiser, stuff the hose in the top and let it run........dial the water in so that it stays right at the top. Took me like 3 hours on one cruiser to flush 20 years of crap out. On some real nasty ones I have used the Prestone flushing stuff(powder) it really seemed to work well.....all kinds of nasty stuff came out.

after a bit I will close the rad drain cock and just let it go out the block.

I assume you all collect the initial coolant in a catch container, then let it drain to the ground when it is just water and sediment? Just wondering, I have not flushed the coolant yet on mine, but need to do so.

yes, I cought the anti freeze, after that I just let it(water) run on the dirt, but i did have the bucket under so I could look at the chunks of crap that came out, lots of neat stuff in the bottom of the bucket ;)

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=13253;start=msg122416#msg122416 date=1079491650]
I assume you all collect the initial coolant in a catch container, then let it drain to the ground when it is just water and sediment? Just wondering, I have not flushed the coolant yet on mine, but need to do so.
[/quote]

the impression I have is that the ethylene glycol is not bad for the environment per se, rather that it is dangerous for pets that may want to drink it. This may be wrong, of course.
E

Ethylene Glycol is VERY poisonous. As little as a tablespoon of straight stuff can kill a dog or cat. It is a very ugly,slow death. I seem to recall that it crystalizes in the liver. Do please be careful with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom