Coolant flush turned brown (bad head gasket?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to revive my 86. I finally got it to a point where I can start the engine, so I went to try and flush the cooling system. Here’s the problem, I put 4 gallons of distilled water and a coolant flush bottle. Ran the engine for a few minutes ( high rpm’s maybe 1500 bc I am trying to tune my carb at the same time). Check the radiator and the water is brown overfilling out the funnel. I was an idiot and let it continue for maybe another minute. Did I blow my head gasket or is this common for an old cooling system and just had air in it?

I didn’t have temp sensor hooked up bc the wire was frayed. I ended up splicing it last night anyways even though there’s a possibility the head gasket is blown

I plan on getting a test kit but wanted to come here in the meantime. Any help?

BCB6C0A9-782F-4B54-B4E3-02A13F913CFE.jpeg

E664E787-1915-4ACB-AFDF-746F7DE2597C.jpeg

Looks like a really dirty coolant system to me, Keep flushing it till its clear.
Every few years I disconnect all the large radiator hoses and open all the drain valves and put a garden hose in my system, I hose it out until it looks clear.

If your worried about a HG you coolant would be bubbling air and your dipstick would show either a really high level or chocolate milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom