Coolant filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to hear some opinions on coolant filters as a general proposition. The set-up I'm referring to is a spin-on type filter (looks like an oil filter) installed inline on a heater hose. I put one of these on my '68 Chevy P/U to deal with a continuous contamination problem. The 454 I installed came from a jet-boat and little did I know, the water jackets had layer upon layer of river silt deposits, and no amount of flushing would get rid of it. Got tired of flushing system every month and was too lazy to pull the motor, pop the freeze plugs etc., etc. Asked around a little and was referred to a "trucker" parts store. The guy there said he runs one of these filters on all of his vehicles for longevity. Not only does it filter the system, but the spin-on filter itself has a sort of timed release additive package that bolsters that of the coolant (which I guess diminishes over time). Well, it solved my silt problem and I'm wondering if it might be a good addition for an 80. It's an easy install, the whole set-up was under $30, the filters about $8. Your thoughts?

Dan

Dan,

These things are routine on large semi trucks that see a LOT of miles between changes of huge capacity cooling systems - like 10 gallons of coolant. The cost of the system is worth it to ensure the additives on a hard working expensive diesel are kept topped. I think they've been using a long life coolant for some time and this is how they do it without risk.

On a civilian vehicle leading a normal life I'd say there's no need for such a system as long as the coolant is changed out and flushed properly. But frankly for $30 it starts to reduce the cost to the point where I would also consider it. I've not heard a cost that low. Good solution on your marine block - kinda funny actually.

Does the filter have a bypass mode like automotive oil filters? In other words, if it blocks with crud will coolant still circulate or could you overheat? Do you have a pair of valves so you can also manually bypass the filter? Finally, I'd heard that the filters and additives are geared to keep these massive capacity systems running and they might be too much for a small gasoline system - was your supplier able to get a filter that matched this completely different application?

DougM

Yeah Doug, the first question I asked was whether it had a bypass, cuz I knew I might be plugging it up in short order - it does. No way to manually bypass, though. And yes, they sell the filters with different amounts of additive, or maybe just a different decay rate of the little additive pellets inside - I'm not sure which. My memory has been known to be faulty and it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure the filter head was no more than $30. Had to fab my own brackets to mount it to the inner front fender. So far, so good!

Dan

I'm definately interested to learn more. Drenbaby, do you recall the manufacturer of the filter or where you bought it?
Just trying to keep my headgasket happy.
Cheers.
:beer:
Curran

Instagator, Thanks for the link. :cheers:
Did anyone ever send a sample of the sludge to a lab?
Inquireing minds want to know. Cheap a$$es like me want someone else to pay to find out.
You guys rock. :D
CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom