Coolant drain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What’s the best way to drain the coolant
Thanks
Best? Along what axis?

Fastest? Stab a knife in the coolant hoses
Most complete? Open the petcock and block drain
Easiest? Petcock and call it good enough

What’s the best way to drain the coolant
Thanks
There’s a drain cock on the bottom of the radiator and one on each engine block that are opened/closed by a socket. Attach a 1/4” inner diameter or 5/16” inner diameter clear plastic tubing (~$5 at home improvement stores) to the drains and your catch container and then open with 10mm socket (bottom of radiator is hand loosen). When closing the drains on the blocks it is 9 ft lb torque wrench. You’ll want a flexible extension to reach the ones on the block as they are awkward to get to. System holds about 4 US gallons, when I drained this way I got about 3.25 gallons out.

There’s a drain cock on the bottom of the radiator and one on each engine block that are opened/closed by a socket. Attach a 1/4” inner diameter or 5/16” inner diameter clear plastic tubing (~$5 at home improvement stores) to the drains and your catch container and then open with 10mm socket (bottom of radiator is hand loosen). When closing the drains on the blocks it is 9 ft lb torque wrench. You’ll want a flexible extension to reach the ones on the block as they are awkward to get to. System holds about 4 US gallons, when I drained this way I got about 3.25 gallons out.
Thanks really helpfull

Instead of opening the drain cocks couldn’t you use compressed to blow through pipes
Some of threads talk of a tool that pulls vacuum and actually collapses the hoses and then refills with no burping required. Not sure why you’d try to blow compressed air. The drain cocks, while not the easiest thing to get to, really aren’t bad. The FSM states to do it via the drain cocks and bottom of radiator, so that’s what I did.

Some of threads talk of a tool that pulls vacuum and actually collapses the hoses and then refills with no burping required. Not sure why you’d try to blow compressed air. The drain cocks, while not the easiest thing to get to, really aren’t bad. The FSM states to do it via the drain cocks and bottom of radiator, so that’s what I did.
Thanks

Instead of opening the drain cocks couldn’t you use compressed to blow through pipes

compressed air would be much higher psi than the stock system was designed for, the cap is 15psi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom