Coolant Disappearing 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jrmudder92

John R.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
This is for a 1991 Land Cruiser 3FE

First of all I'm adding a link from the clubhouse I'm apart of from when this first happened may be able to get more in site from that. But I will sum it up the best I can. Yes the head gasket was done 1.5 years ago by Toyota.

I'm lost at what to do next... I'm losing a little bit less then a gallon of coolant each gas tank (230 Miles). But here is where it gets odd... Ive done all the test that one may do....

Leak down test on all six lost between 4-7 PSI all with in Toyota guild lines!
Compression test 175 all six cylinders
Pressure test coolant system (Cold) will do running temp next. Held at 17 PSI for 10 minuets just fine.
Head gasket test passed stayed blue!
No white smoke
No milkshake
And I don't see any puddles anywhere so it could be burning off

But I put dye in the coolant system to see where it was going and it came back to the oil... You may ask the oil level would rise then... WRONG the oil stays the same level. Now I can't tell if its blow back or something but right where the rear main seal would go there is oil there and on the sway bar right nest to it. So it maybe that its leaking out so it does not rise the oil levels. Even THO the die was in there NOW granted I not 100% sure that the old owner (Have had it for 3 years almost) put some in if they did it could not be in there like this was.

Also there is a wet floor board passenger side but I'm 95.99% sure its a sunroof leak or window leak. It smells like mold not sweet no foggy window ether.

I keep thinking it could be the oil cooler but that idea seams to get shot down by quite a few people. So I just let it go. The only thing I can think of is that when it gets up to running temp its got a hair line crack and starts leaking...

But any input would be nice! And will try to reply to all I can. And look at the link I posted up at the top of this. It may answer your questions you will ask

Last edited:
I'm losing a little bit less then a gallon of coolant each gas tank (230 Miles).
That is a huge loss. This should be fairly easy to spot. Are you filling the radiator or the overflow?
Keep in mind that the coolant system will only be fully pressurized at NOT. Starting with a cold non running engine and a full cooling system (radiator filled to the neck, overflow filled to the MAX line) I would carefully inspect all hoses and lines especially the rear heater hoses for any signs of leakage. Remove the belly pan (4 bolts) so you can get a look at the lower radiator hose and bottom of the radiator.
Start the engine and let her sit at idle until warm. A leak of that magnitude should reveal itself fairly quickly.
Monitor the amount of coolant in the overflow bottle as the system pressurizes. It should increase slightly, but not enough to overflow the cap. If it does then you have a faulty radiator cap or you're blowing exhaust gasses into the water jacket.
If the passenger floor is wet and it's not raining out, then the heater core is leaking.

In any case, once the system pressurizes, there will be coolant squirting out somewhere. You have a huge loss going on here.

Are you filling the radiator or the overflow?

Monitor the amount of coolant in the overflow bottle as the system pressurizes. It should increase slightly, but not enough to overflow the cap. If it does then you have a faulty radiator cap or you're blowing exhaust gasses into the water jacket.

The over flow and just abit in the radiator. It's not coming back out the over flow I added a second over flow just to see if that was the case and bone dry.

No bigge put a new head on and drove it till I sold it this year. Now I'm in a 100 series (lx470) :eek:

Ah well, sorry to hear you had to take a backward step in life, happens to the best of us :D

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom