Cool tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Shark

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m sure the tool elites will have seen and or used these before but I had not and thought it was pretty cool. Was going through some old boxes of my dads lately and came upon this.
3BE10262-00BC-46DD-BD9D-2A140239B8BA.jpeg

Yep! They're ingenious little buggers. Also come in 45 degree angle versions.

The cool thing is that they hold the angle, unlike a typical u-joint socket adapter - which can want to twist around under torque.

$_1__25470.1516742892.JPG

yes, those are weird but so clever. And if you use a couple of the adapters together you can get into odd cramped spots.

Ok I'm in, what do you call them and where do you get them?

No idea but gonna do some studying up on them and get some adapters like e9999 talks about.

Ok quick google search and this is what came up

FWIW, I would not use an impact gun on those without checking carefully first.

Yeah, they don't look very heavy duty, but could get a guy out of a pinch. My swivels are damn near useless without some tape around them.

likely obvious, but I don't think they can do any other angle than the preset one (90 or 45) so don't really replace an actual swivel in terms of flexibility (sheesh!).

But talking about the usual swivels, I got some that are extremely floppy, but others much less so. Maybe banging a bit on the floppy ones would teach 'em a lesson on how to behave...?

My grandad had one of those. No idea where it got to, but it wasn't in the tools that I inherited. It was cool just to watch move.

My Snap-On U-J has never really gotten any looser in the ~20 years that I've owned it. I don't use it every day, so there is that.

I find that I much prefer the "wobble" extensions to the U-J anyway.

likely obvious, but I don't think they can do any other angle than the preset one (90 or 45) so don't really replace an actual swivel in terms of flexibility (sheesh!).

But talking about the usual swivels, I got some that are extremely floppy, but others much less so. Maybe banging a bit on the floppy ones would teach 'em a lesson on how to behave...?
For the floppy swivels slip a length of electrical shrink tube over the joint and hit it with a heat gun.

Still have mine, a stainless pre Gerber version. I've yet to see any bicycle multitool that I thought was an overall better idea. Sometimes wish that I had one of the Ti versions, but I'd never use or carry it, so it would just be more clutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom