Cool prices on marine cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking for a good price on marine battery cable and found these folks on a web search http://genuinedealz.com/ - seriously low prices compared to West Marine or other similar shops for Ancor cable. I called to see how they sounded on the basis that things on the web that sound too good... The guy I spoke with sounded reasonably sane [or just smooth, we'll see when the order arrives]. What's this cable going into? A Landcruiser - oh, I sell to a guy in Atlanta who fools w/ those, Urban Cruisers - Dan, Dave, something like that - was a good enough ref for me to try them out...

David Dearborn at Urban Landcruisers?

For big wire 1/0 try:
Nex Air [SIZE=-1]www.nexair.com
110 Priester Dr, Pearl, 39208 - (601) 936-9353

I paid about $1/ foot for some 4 awg a few weeks back. Black only, no colors.

For cable ends try Ace hardware. The one in Fondren has a selection, Tim may have some at Revel too.

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Just another option.
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
I have a big ass crimper if you need it, Dow. The kind that iss needed to make your own cables.

[/SIZE]

Appreciate the offer, but we have a bunch of crimp ends and some bolt-cutter sized crimpers at the office lab, handles 1/0, 2/0 and such. I decided to drop a bit more on the marine cable for the tinning and stranding that is supposed to be even better than welding cable - possibly just the side effect of years around ground defense / aero stuff - hey, that cool cable.

We're going to run 4g to the rear and install a 12V panel there, run 2g around up front to the new battery tray location, then order up a Hellroaring isolator and 2nd battery. Run some more 2g to the back later for an inverter.

Real sorry that we missed the fling - Mo went to the beach w/ a buddy sorta last minute and KA arrived from Moo-U for Dad's birthday and a little spring break herself.

You may want to check out my setup before order the helroaring unit. I used a big relay from ebay, a marine fuse, all custom cables and the switch is a factory rear defroster switch. I'm not sure I saved money vs a unit off the shelf but I think it is a more slick setup.

I ran my aux power and inverter under the DS seat, mainly to make the install eaiser.

My fridge and inverter are both running on a 1g wire directly off of the 2nd bat with a big marine fuse in line.

I'm just putting in a second battery (Optima from costco - don't know if red, yellow or blue is best for running the Engel fridge/inverter for laptop & blender), and I'm wondering how you guys decided on which battery, and also is 1g wire needed for an inverter or is 2g OK?
How big an inverter are you running from it?

We're accumulating parts, so Greg may want to jump in w/ experience... Yellow top Optimas seem to be the prevailing battery on MUD writeups - a deep cycle battery as opposed to the red top starting - and for Rover guys also. The other choice that gets some mention, and what we're going for that may have a slight edge over Optima on CCA is an Odyessy.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/odyssey/

Both are gel mat style w/ some differences between how the material is installed, it's probably a coin toss.

2g will be fine for the 600W Samlex we'll install. This is really a function of inverter size and how far back in the truck you locate it. 1/0 is "better" and may be what you want for larger sized inverter. Search on MUD; Romer has a link to a site w/ a table in one of his posts.

I did optima because I bought both my red and yellow tops as 2nds from the interstate store for cheap.. like under $50.

Cable: Bigger is better.

You might look into the Excide Orbitals too. A few sources I've read placed them slightly high than Optimas on quality. You can get these from NAPA. Yeah and I agree with Greg - bigger wire is better. Better to be too big than too small.

I'm sure the Exide place off Hwy 80 can get you Orbital 2nds if you ask. They may even have some available. I've been buying batteries from them for years. $25 for most blemished batteries. They are on Concourse Dr. In Pearl (down by the airport).

Later,

We're accumulating parts, so Greg may want to jump in w/ experience... Yellow top Optimas seem to be the prevailing battery on MUD writeups - a deep cycle battery... ...1/0 is "better" and may be what you want for larger sized inverter. Search on MUD; Romer has a link to a site w/ a table in one of his posts.

Thanks, I found Romer's great table link. Costco here has the Yellow tops for cheap, so I'll go with that. I do have a 2000W inverter, so will go with the 1/0 and keep it close to the battery. Amazing posts on this forum about dual battery setups, so many choices....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom