Cool fold-down step mod thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have had some of those cool fold-down steps from SOR for a while and wanted to put them on. I have been having people climb (or try to) with the foot on the bumper and 1 on the tire and go over my wheel well, sidewall, tub to get into the back seat. Some people are to short to get a leg up as high as the top of a 33" and so I decided it was time to put these steps to use to make it easier. plus, it will be easier to load as the rig is pretty tall.

After getting advise here elsewhere, I decided against my original notion of mounting them to the actual body and use a fender washer (or plate) behind the body panel as support as it would just be too flimsy I decided.

So, with the help of a friend, I got er done today.

Essentially, we welded said brackets (for upper bolt placement as you cannot bolt into air) above the turn signal guards (which are all part of 1 big 1-piece CON-FERR rear swing away rack), then drilled into said signal guards for the lower bolt. I used nice clean hex head bolts as well and painted everything black.

Here is an animated image of where we started, up until the final product. Turned out awesome I think and the brackets he had look as though they were there from day one. the photos will tell the tail.

steps.gif

Last edited:
wantatlc-

Looks great man, followed the thread and I think you made a great choice to custome mount, verses in the body panels...

They look good!

Rezarf <><

thanks - yeah, I found some people mounting them on the body with some support behind them, but I kept envisioning my 6'4" +200 pounds brother standing on something like that and just saw the body panel tweak. in the end run, this is the lowest point (even lower than a body panel mount so even short people can step up on them), does not stick out farther than the gas can (so will not get hung up), is much more solid, and the swing out rack can still clear them (assuming I ever swing that thing out that far).

I don't like those flashing pictures, just as you are orienting yourself to what you are seeing, it changes :mad:. Looks like a good sturdy mounting point though, definitely better than the body.

firetruck41 said:
I don't like those flashing pictures, just as you are orienting yourself to what you are seeing, it changes :mad:. Looks like a good sturdy mounting point though, definitely better than the body.

thanks.

BTW, I use the animations with multiple images so that I do not have like 4-5 images stacked up so you have to scroooooolllllll to see them all. I hate that :mad: about some posts as I have to scroll down, up, down, up. so this is my way to conserve scroll time/space. I can sloooow them down for you as I figured 5 seconds was good enough on each.

rusty_tlc said:
Is that an RTV patch on your fuel can? :eek:

ha... yes it is RTV, but no, that is a nice home made 'bumper' (for lack of a better word) for when you cut the corner of the rig to tight when running around it and hip check it....or for little kids he said..... compliments of the PO and I just never removed it as I thought it was kinda funny. it is on the jerry can holder, not the actual can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom