Cool down idle after turning ignition off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 93 HDJ81 it will continue to idle after turning the ignition off. The amount of time it idles after ignition is off depends how long I have been driving. I ASSUMED this was a feature of a JDM VX Limited HDJ81, BUT after discovering an aftermarket remote start system (some can be programmed to perform a cool down idle) had been installed I'm not sure if the cool down idle is because of the aftermarket remote start or if it is a manufacture feature for this vehicle. Any insight would be appreciated.

I could see it happing to cool down the turbo.
Sounds like an aftermarket setup

On my 93 HDJ81 it will continue to idle after turning the ignition off. The amount of time it idles after ignition is off depends how long I have been driving. I ASSUMED this was a feature of a JDM VX Limited HDJ81, BUT after discovering an aftermarket remote start system (some can be programmed to perform a cool down idle) had been installed I'm not sure if the cool down idle is because of the aftermarket remote start or if it is a manufacture feature for this vehicle. Any insight would be appreciated.
Strange. I know jet engine aircraft in particular helicopters have two idle down for some time to all the incoming air the cool the engine hope before they can shut down the engine. Sometimes the entrance will start to over temp when the engines has spool it down to a stop. The pilot will then crank the starter and pull in more air Too Cool the burn can section of the engine. But I've never heard this happened for a car.

FWIW - I have tuner friends that build fancy turbo 4cyl cars - this is an aftermarket timer to cool things down before stopping the engine. The dudes say the oil in the turbo gets super HOT and burns / degrades / gums up the turbo bearings if you just shut 'er down and let it bake. Idling the engine a few minutes balances things out.

This allows you to race to Starbucks or your favorite craft brew house, go in to get a beverage, then discuss with folks why your car is still running - so fancy!

Turbo Timer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom