Convince me to keep her! (first post) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, here's the deal. I got sick of driving a boring late-model suv, have always liked old Land Cruisers, and when a buddy called and said there was an old FJ60 in his neighborhood I jumped on it. So now I'm the proud owner of a 1985 model FJ60 w/ the Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift, Holley carb, Centerforce clutch, and a nice Wilderness backet rack.

I know pretty much the bare minimum about engines (can change oil, check hoses, change fuses, etc.). The 60 started having trouble almost as soon as I drove it out of the guy's driveway. The rear brakes were locked up, and the idle wouldn't stay set. We got this squared away, and the seller was cool about paying for it.

Then I got back home and there appeared to be some water in the fuel line (I think it had been sitting for a long time) and a bunch of other problems. My local mechanic, who is awesome, got the fuel line issue taken care of, but there are still a host of little problems that are going to need fixing over time and I'm starting to wonder if this was such a great idea. The funny part is, even with the headaches, I really enjoy the ride. Plus, I live in the country, and have some pretty fun spots to mess around on.

Basically I'm looking for a couple of folks to tell me that the growing pains are worth it, that it gets better, and that this is a good resource for a noob to ask questions. . . (if so, brace yourselves).....

keep it keep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep itkeep it

i'm basicaly in the same situation as you because my cruiser was parked like 7 years on my garage. it was my dad and he gave it to me, now i'm starting to see all the little problems because of the time it's been perked.

but every day i fix a problem and i drive my cruiser i say it woth all the pain and money that i've spend on her.

:cheers:

hey, it 20 years old. it sounds like your comfortable with your mechanic. these, like any vehicle, need
attention.
just keep the fluids up, and attack any rust, and it should run for quite a while.
my 84 has 212k miles, and i just fix or replace stuff as it comes. my wife whines about the money, but its paid for, and it doesnt cost 375 bucks a month to have, like her car payment!
happy motoring!
hammer

Definitely keep it. This is a great place to learn all you ever wanted to know and more about Cruisers. You might want to check out the FAQ if you haven't already https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=13183 and utilize the search feature to find answers to questions that may have already been asked. Good luck and welcome.

Someone on this forum was right on the money when they said that cruisers are more like pets than cars. They require some work but they become part of the family and they're fun. And with the proper gaskets you too can potty train you FJ60!

Teh way to work this forum is to use the search feature to check the archives to see if someone else has asked the same questions. If you can't find an answer or have additional questions post a thread.

IMHO, I'd rather drive a limping FJ60 than perfect J##P! They got more character!

keep it!

this board will help you fix nearly anything that you migh have problems with. Lot's of info to be learned, and a "family" of other cruiser addicts. That's what it is, btw - an addiction. WELCOME!

Plus - do you really want to drive anything else? some POS SUV that everyone else has, or another car that looks like a bar of soap - like the rest?!

You know you are just looking for the excuse to keep it. so keep it!!

Good luck

rob

A 20 year old vehicle comes with some baggage. Cruisers come with a lot smaller bags than just about any other vehicle that has the similar capabilities.

Order the Factory Service Manuals (CruiserDan on here is a great source), get a basic set of tools, and search/ask questions on here if you get stuck. Chances are whatever problems you see, it's been discussed here.

Barring any major engine/tranny problems, once you start knocking off the little maintenance and repair issues common on a 20 year old Cruiser, you should reach a point where you are driving trouble free for months at a time.

Thanks all. Rob's right, I think deep down I knew I was going to keep it. The best point is "what else are you going to drive?". I had a hand-me-down cookie cutter suv and it just never felt right. Appreciate the input, and I'll be sure to use the search function before posting.

Do a bit of research on the carb. My pref would be to switch it back to the stock Toyota carb. You'll get better all around performance and spend less time trying to figure out why the truck won't start. I've had several 60's. They all took a while to get "right." My current ride started with an engine rebuild and then led to rebuilding just about everything. That was several years ago and I really haven't had to do much to it since other than adding sliders and other toys to make it better offroad. Don't get frustrated :)

You have to keep it. When i purchased mine 3+ years ago, I had no real major mechanical issues, a few new vacume lines, little T-Case drip, etc.... I have since had body fully restored, lift and tires My two sons would rather ride in my cruiser than mom's new Tahoe.

i never really wanted a 60 when i bought mine...it's just the deal was right. since then, i've learned to love it. i drive it almost every day. i even like it better than my built 40 most of the time.

trust me...you will love that big ole mall wagon.

You get in to cruisers for the 40 series; you stay for the 60 series.

nuclearlemon said:
i never really wanted a 60 when i bought mine...it's just the deal was right. since then, i've learned to love it. i drive it almost every day. i even like it better than my built 40 most of the time.

trust me...you will love that big ole mall wagon.

Second that. I loved the 60s from the start though, and when I got mine I figured I'd take it out for a Sunday drive or an occasional camping trip. Once I got her all fixed up I was hooked. Now my comfy Rodeo and the 40 just sit and look at each other in the garage while the 60 gets the daily duty.

DocB said:
You get in to cruisers for the 40 series; you stay for the 60 series.

I like this little jingle....

I miss my 62 prolly a hundred times more than I miss my 40, either keep it or sell it to me really cheap and I'll keep it.

Keep it I say. I learned along time ago, when it came to buying old vehicles that you need to have about another 1000.00 set aside to fix all the small stuff the PO just put up with and other upgrades you would like to put on it right away. I always try to talk them down another 1000.00 when i go buy the vehicle just for this reason, showing them what all i am going to need to do to it. right away to get it road worthy.

HTH

Congratulations on your new purchase. I agree with everyone that you made a great choice and that you should keep her. I've owned my '86 FJ60 for 19 years now and there is little things that need to be done after so many years. It's my daily driver, but my wife keeps trying to talk me into retiring it :( but I've been resisting...

Good luck!

keep it and get a second job for all the upgrades your gonna have to have. Trust me. I spent some money so far. And there is plenty more to spend!!

follow up

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to keep her and have dealt with a bunch of issues.

The big lingering question for me is whether or not to replace the Holley carb the previous owner put on. I don't really understand the benefits of the Holley, and it makes starting the 60 more of a chore than I like to deal with on a regular basis.

Also, there's an aftermarket air filter on there, I think K&N but there's no identification. What are the benefits of a permanent oil filter you have to clean over the regular kind you just replace periodically?

Thanks again.

From what I've personally read, the 2F engine works better with the orig equip on it as opposed to Holley or whatever. Truly a niche engine.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom