Convince me to buy an FZJ-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I am think I am moving towards a yota the more I think about it. It just has been a pain trying to find one with the factory lockers and hopefully a lift and tires.

I think I know you:p

But yes. You will love the land cruiser. My old disco always had weird quirks and always left me wondering if it could make it home.

I owned and enjoyed an 88 RFRC and the 80'seris has a lot of the things I liked about that truck but without the fragility. Same sort of big, planted rig with soft flexy coils and great capability offroad. Same Full time AWD. Same luxury appointed, leather lined interior BUT the build quality on my Cruiser is SO much better. Mine is actually a pretty thrashed example with 240k miles and everything still works, no gremlins or other Rover commonalities.

Great trucks, you won't be disappointed.

I can tell you that I would never buy a Rover (even though I do think some of them look nice) after all the experiences my buddy has had with his girlfriend's Disco. She has a 96, same year as my Cruiser. I've spent just over $3000 in the last year and a half, mainly on stuff that this site has made me OCD about (replacing hoses, rebuilding front and rear axles with new bearings, replacing u-joints, and on and on we go). However, I would say a good 75% of the work I have done was voluntary, not necessary. I did it because I wanted to, not necessarily because the truck needed it.

This Rover has had all 4 oxygen sensors replaced, a new ECU, a new ABS computer, and a ton of other work done on it (at the dealer), and it still randomly, without warning, ****s out. Last week the engine died while sitting in an intersection downtown. The engine would start up again, rev really high, and then die if you took your foot off the gas. After getting it home (by holding the revs up and dropping the auto into gear each time), it started fine the next day and hasn't done it since. There have been so many similar stories of failure with this truck over the past few years that I would never even consider owning one. Even my buddy (who loved the truck when his girlfriend got it) would now never touch one (his Xterra has enough problems of its own!).

For another testimony search for a couple of IdahoDoug's threads about his brother-in-law's 80. Minimum maintenance, 330,000 or so miles, and trouble free reliability. That's why Landcruisers rock!

96 was the worst disco year to own just to throw that out there. I am pretty good at working on a rover since I did all the work myself on my disco what is this PHH I keep hearing about?

Last edited:
96 was the worst disco year to own just to throw that out there. I am pretty good at working on a rover since I did all the work myself on my disco what is this PHH I keep hearing about?

Pesky Heater Hose. A quick search in the FAQ will shead some light on it.

you say 96 was the worst year. I know they made major changes in the late 90's, and again in '03. Is there a "good" year among Rover guys? Serious question, just curious.

Good luck in your search for an 80, you wont be disappointed. :beer:

Pesky Heater Hose. A quick search in the FAQ will shead some light on it.

you say 96 was the worst year. I know they made major changes in the late 90's, and again in '03. Is there a "good" year among Rover guys? Serious question, just curious.

Good luck in your search for an 80, you wont be disappointed. :beer:

The best years for discos are 04 series IIs, 99 series 1 and 95 series 1. The worst years are 03 (oil pump failures) 96 (crappy build quality).

My little sister has a '97 Disco. I have a '92 LC. There is a ton of stuff on hers that needs replaced... I mean a TON. Things that we have replaced so far.... Starter, alternator, battery, misc. hoses, power steering pump, some exhaust stuff, randomly dies (still haven't figured that out...), OH... AND THE ENGINE. Go with the landcruiser. I love mine, and even though it is old, its a wonderful vehicle and I would NEVER buy a land rover. No offense to land rover owners, just my experience.

yea that would be great! my email is discorover85 at yahoo dot com

I would go with the 80! My friend and I took our 80's up a trail and a Disco. club was at the top. They were all checking out our 80's and most said they should have got, or want one. We were comparing the two vehicles and the biggest Disco had 285's and was pushing cutting fenders. So if you are looking to do any wheeling that requires larger tires... Also all in all I feel and have heard axles and other parts are stronger in general.

I had a 99 series 1 Disco. The only reason I bought it was because my wife worked at the dealership and with her employee pricing we got it for the same that we were paying for her Subaru, and I had an FJ40 if I wanted to go wheeling. We wheeled in the Disco too but only when I forced myself not to take the FJ40. I had a good friend at the time that also had a Disco and wheeled it everytime we went out. Oh and he sold his Disco for an FJ40 and a 100 series Land Cruiser. Doubt he'll own another Rover either.

I only made it a year with the Disco and had to sell it. Just didn't cut it for me. I felt safer and more capable in my FJ40 that was 20 years older. But that's when we bought our FZJ80. Holy Crap, what a difference. It was heads and shoulders better than the Disco in every way. It was a '93 and even at 7 years old it was tighter and more solid than our Disco was new. I've had that 80 for 10 years now with essentially zero problems other than routine maintenance. Its got 230K miles on it and still run really well and we wheel it a lot. For me there is no way I would ever own another Land Rover. There are pics of my cruiser on and off the trail in my ROTW link in my sig if you feel like looking.

I have owner my 80 for about 60 days. I have since done a transmission flush, rear brakes, tune-up, new tires, fresh battery, oil change and more. I am on a first name basis with CDan now, and am forever on this forum.

I have spent close to $1500 on upgrades/repairs since I bought her, and wouldn't change it for the world.

Owning a LC is something I have always wanted.

I would suggest wait to get one in fairly good condition mechanically, and has the options and colors you want.

Once you find it, buy it.

Plan on catching up on the PM that it might need, and drive her EVERYWHERE!

I have put close to 3500 miles on mine since mid-december 2008, and no matter what isn't quite right, I still over seeing her in my driveway every morning.

If you don't love it, don't buy it.

No different than a good woman.

IMHO

File these comments away in your FWIW basket...

I drove a Disco the first 3 years in England (2004 model). Reliable enough but I never took it off-road. A trip to London (3 hours) would wear me out and the wife and children wouldn't be in the best frame of minds when we arrived either. I swapped for a 100 series Land Cruiser. We've made two 1000 mile each way trips to France to ski without one complaint from anyone, including me. It's a dream to drive. I've also driven a Defender 110 (2007 model). Does it look the part, yes, but I've driven tractors that are more comfortable.

I haven't yet taken the 80 series on a 1000 mile journey in the US but I've made several 300+ mile trips and I know that it wouldn't be a problem. All my Land Cruisers have diff locks as well so off-road I know which one I would prefer to drive.

I searched for 4 or 5 months for the "perfect" 80 Land Cruiser. I bought it over the internet and telephone from Portland, Oregon and had it shipped to Alabama. My criteria, numbers 1 through 5, were no rust. This Land Cruiser lived it's first 7 years in Arizona and last 3 in Portland. It has no rust, period.

Be patient and be prepared to buy it anywhere in the US. Ask for photos of the axles and undercarriage. They will tell you much.

Good Luck.

Why do I have to convince you? Nobody convinced me. Do your homework. :D

Landcruisers were always my dream car of choice...but my wife liked Land Rovers. So when I went looking for a "bump around" car we found some Land Rovers to look at.

That all ended when I found my first Land Rover forum and read page after page of crazy gremlin stories. Some of my favorites involved windshield wipers spontaneously coming on, or doors that wouldn't unlock with the key fob - sometimes it was only the drivers door!

When I found IH8MUD, I found a friend. It was here I figured out which model I wanted and what I was looking for. Lockers for me weren't such a big deal, I have my moments where I wish I had them. Overall though, I don't regret buying the one I have.

I love that Cruiser and it loves me back. I baselined and PM'd it with the help of a local joint called "Urban Landcruisers" which really was a blessing while I lived in a dorm.

Since then, we've had nothing but fun memories driving over things and through them. CIVICS BEWARE!

Good luck with your search!

Cheers!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom