Converting your TOYOTA 1HD / [z?] starter from 24volt to 12v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been wanting to convert my starter to 12V after getting an intermittent problem earlier this year, and finding the short comings of having a 24V starter [Needing two batteries to jump - and introducing 24V to the jumper batteries]

Not being able to track one down in a hurry I had spent $$$ getting everything upgraded and replaced / re wired and haven't had a problem with starting since.

Seeing as NZ doesn't really get to minus 40 degrees I think a 12V starter will work fine, the ones currently available are 2.5kW but there are later model 3.2kW available if your engine is tired / frequent below zero temps

Today I received the email from trademe saying they have GENUINE 12V starters for NZD$200 from king TOYOTA in lower hutt

Cheap way to elmiate a potential headache in the future of your 80 series if its 24V, just dont forget to switch 2nd batterys wiring, rewire -unplug- remove series parallel switch

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/toyota/electrics/auction-546415539.htm
EzAnn.jpg

Ok Guys ill let the cat out of the bag..

When I did my conversion... 1HD-T into a 1996 FZJ80 i swiched the alternator and starter over to 12 volt.

I used a 2LT 12v starter motor and the original 1HD-T nose cone. you can get a reman starter for about $100 in the US from toyota.

Cheers

When I did my conversion... 1HD-T into a 1996 FZJ80 i swiched the alternator and starter over to 12 volt.

I used a 2LT 12v starter motor and the original 1HD-T nose cone. you can get a reman starter for about $100 in the US from toyota.

Cheers

Good idea, but I dont like having parts made of "bitsa's" [bits of this an bits of this] on my car for ease of replacement if needed.

I am interested though, exactly what 2LT starter did you use?

Cheers

Mine's the same. 3L though. I wouldn't consider it cobbled together- it's all Toyota and the parts for the starter motor are easily found here. Part # is on the side.

That would be the big one found on the dual battery trucks.
GREAT REPLY. REALLY INFORMATIVE. THANKS FOR ONCE AGAIN LETTIGN THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG

In NZ we got 2L 2LT 2LT-2 2LTE 3L 3LE 5L 5LE in anything from hilux pickups to surfs landcruisers, a wide variety of startermotors in all of the mentioned cars, any more specifics on what starter you used? Its prob a 2kw one right? Bit small really, to be putting into something that is near on double the discplacement....

we can also get cheap s***ty starter motors from a knock off parts shop.... great info

This thread was to advise of availibility of genuine TOYOTA bolt in, 1hdt startermotor, earlier this year when trying to find one there were none about in a hurry apart from paying toyota for outrageous prices.

But thanks for letting the cat out of thte bag, in awe of your awesomeness,

In NZ we got 2L 2LT 2LT-2 2LTE 3L 3LE 5L 5LE in anything from hilux pickups to surfs landcruisers, a wide variety of startermotors in all of the mentioned cars, any more specifics on what starter you used? Its prob a 2kw one right? Bit small really, to be putting into something that is near on double the discplacement....
In my manuals the L series engines have been available with 2, 2.2 et 2.7kW
The ones I used are the biggest style that I've seen so far, 2.2 or 2.7 I don't know, maybe some digging in the EPC would tell***see below***. They have absolutely no problem starting the 1HD-T.
The manual for the 1HD-T engine lists a 12V 2.5kW and a 24V 4kW starter so I guess the number are not too far off. :D
The 1HDT is direct injection and low compression, while the L engines are indirect injection, high compression. Those are important factors, too IMO.

EDIT The 2.7kW starters are the ones with a bracket on the motor housing for additionnal support, which are the ones I used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom