1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting R12 to R134????

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by rusmannx, Jul 26, 2005.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

has anyone ever tried this?
    i've got this old 92 civic, and the AC no longer works.
    i've had some parts replaced, had the freon recharged, but nothing has helped.
    i'm wondering if i need to convert it to R134. are there kits for this? are they universal or do you have to get a specific one for each vehicle.
    where would i find such a kit if it exists?

2. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
  3. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Have you any leaks in the system or any of the individual components? If not, then you should be able to convert to R134 using the kits they have available in the auto parts stores. Replace your drier and make certain to follow the instructions. The kits need not be specific to your vehicle.

4. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Wal-Mart sells a kit for around $33 to convert to R-134a. This includes fittings, oil, refrigerant, etc. After changing out the fittings and replacing any other necessary parts, you must have a shop pull a vacuum on the system before recharging with oil and refrigerant. Be sure to use the recommended amounts, as too little or too much can damage the system.

5. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't convert to 134. It's going the same way as r12. Find out why the system isn't working. I'm having to do the same thing right now and diagnosing ac systems blows. I feel your pain.

6. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

PM Flintknapper if he doesn't chime in on this thread, he knows alot when it comes to this.

7. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Wesintl is right in a sense--that R-134a is going the same way at R-12. There has been talk of requiring a license to sell R-134a, but nothing has been done about it yet. I sell probably $1000 worth of R-134a a week, so believe me, this is a topic that is close to heart. Last I knew, R-12 was around $80/12oz versus what I sell the R-134a for ($7.88/12oz). I don't care what anybody says, even if the R-134a market doubles tomorrow, it is still worth it to convert from R-12 to R-134a. We'll see what the government and market does in the near future.