Converting overhead console to sunglass holder w/ Homelink (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's not much info out there about this so i went ahead and bought a newer console. They are the same exact dimensions and mounting but thats where the similarities seem to end.
Much more wiring that doesn't exist on a 2001.
Has this been documented before or is a lot of one off work?

I forget the steps but it was just simple tap wires to get power for the home link. I vaguely remember the harness being different and just cutting the newer harness and just splicing it to the older. The mic isn’t used either so I just ran up my aftermarket radio mic up to the same location.... if you still need help I’ll yank it off tomorrow. But I’m definitely no wizard and i figured it out eventually lol.

I have a 2001 LC and recently bought a later model LX homelink where the 3 homelink buttons are on the rear side, with a proper sunglass folding pocket. As mentioned the size is the same. I used this thread So you wanted an overhead switch panel? to convince me enough. My 2001 has 2 pin connector (i think blue/yellow and white/black) in the overhead which I grabbed power and ground from. I tried make the ambient LEDs get power, as well as illumination (unsure if they are one and the same), but I was able to power illumination but not LEDs, so unsure if the bulbs are burnt, or I simply got the wrong wire. I got tired of playing around, so just left it without illumination. Very simple install.

I happened to have some cheap wire pins so instead of tapping, I plugged them onto the corresponding pints - not the most secure but works for now/until it fails.

I have a 2001 LC and recently bought a later model LX homelink where the 3 homelink buttons are on the rear side, with a proper sunglass folding pocket. As mentioned the size is the same. I used this thread So you wanted an overhead switch panel? to convince me enough. My 2001 has 2 pin connector (i think blue/yellow and white/black) in the overhead which I grabbed power and ground from. I tried make the ambient LEDs get power, as well as illumination (unsure if they are one and the same), but I was able to power illumination but not LEDs, so unsure if the bulbs are burnt, or I simply got the wrong wire. I got tired of playing around, so just left it without illumination. Very simple install.

I happened to have some cheap wire pins so instead of tapping, I plugged them onto the corresponding pints - not the most secure but works for now/until it fails.
thanks for this post, i got it done this weekend. i just wish the console i bought came iwth the pigtails so i could revert to the original if needed but its not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom